Evening Primrose

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
In our front garden we have a patch with Evening Primrose in. This plant just keeps giving. We feed the never ending supply of foliage, but also the flowers. Our redfoots love them. The flowers are unbelievable, after I had took this photo I pulled ever single last flower off and fed them to the torts. The 2nd photo was taken 37 minutes after the first photo, look how many flowers bloomed in such a short time. It's rediculous how many flowers this plant produces. I've also noticed the foliage seems to have a very long season, very cold Hardy.
Our torts go crazy for the flowers, highly recommend this plant.

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/...words&searchtxt=Primrose&x=0&y=0#.WU1sqHMo_qA

IMG_20170623_194704.jpg IMG_20170623_202441.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Our Mexican evening primrose is also a powerhouse.

Our tortoise only ate the flowers last year but this year the entire plant is like crack to her. Fortunately it grows like crazy or she'd have it all mowed down.

Few bugs, drought tolerant, prolific. What's not to love?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
All my redfoots go mad for the flowers, only the adults eat the leaves. Maybe they are too strong tasting for babies.
All I know is in a sunny spot it grows like wildfire. In the shade it grows but no where near as much as in a sunny spot.
I read up that these are originally from North America, they will grow in temperate and tropical climates so I'm going to see if they grow in my tort house.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Evening Primroses are not only a good food plant (my Hermanns devour the flowers, but also like young leaves), they are beautiful to look at and sitting outside in the evening I can not only enjoy their lovely scent but also watch lots of moths fluttering around them... :<3: