Escapee leopard got too cold

SusannahJoy

Hey everyone, my 6 year old leopard tortoise managed to escape his outdoor enclosure yesterday (I have already fixed it, he won't escape again), and I wasn't able to find him until this morning. He was out all night with temps in the low 40s, and very low humidity. I immediately brought him inside with his heater and humidifier, he's been in there for a couple hours and is still pretty lethargic, or possibly just still freaked out. I'm trying to keep as close an eye on him as possible, while letting him rest as much as he needs, and I do know how to recognize the signs of respiratory problems. Is there anything specific I need to look for? Should I take him to the vet? I mean, I know when in doubt, vet is always good, but it's also expensive and if it's not necessary I'd rather save the money. Thanks so much!
Susannah

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would just keep him in a controlled temp area and let him warm up and thrn just watch for any symptoms to appear. If any does, then I would get him in ASAP. Most likely he will be fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The cure for cold is heat.

I'd keep the whole enclosure around 85 for a week or two. Give him a few hours to warm up and then give him a warm soak. I'd soak every other day with the elevated temperatures.

Kasia

Poland
Hey everyone, my 6 year old leopard tortoise managed to escape his outdoor enclosure yesterday (I have already fixed it, he won't escape again), and I wasn't able to find him until this morning. He was out all night with temps in the low 40s, and very low humidity. I immediately brought him inside with his heater and humidifier, he's been in there for a couple hours and is still pretty lethargic, or possibly just still freaked out. I'm trying to keep as close an eye on him as possible, while letting him rest as much as he needs, and I do know how to recognize the signs of respiratory problems. Is there anything specific I need to look for? Should I take him to the vet? I mean, I know when in doubt, vet is always good, but it's also expensive and if it's not necessary I'd rather save the money. Thanks so much!
Susannah
Keep a close eye on him, poor thing:(

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It's actually a good thing that the humidity was low. High humidity and cold temperatures would've been worse.

SusannahJoy

Thank you for all the replies! I slowly raised the temp back up to the normal 85 and it took about 3 hours, but he did perk up. Didn't eat anything still, but that's alright. I also put out a dish of warm water, but didn't soak him yet. I will tomorrow. I'm greatly relieved to see that I seem to be on the right track, and glad that he didn't get out tonight, it's much colder and raining.

Bee62

Germany
Hello Susannah,

it was a great luck you have found him !
Have a close watch on him for the next days. If he caught a RI the next days you will notice that.
But ( fingers crossed ) it is possible that he don`t catch a RI.

I would do it like@Tom wrote: Keep his enclosure warm for the next week ang give him warm soaks. Wait, and if he shows no signs of a RI you don`t have to visit a VET.

Would you please keep us updatet with the health of your tort ?

SusannahJoy

I think we're pretty much in the clear. I've had to keep him inside the last few days anyway because of a spring snowstorm (seriously glad I found him so quickly, this could've ended much worse), and he's eating and drinking and pooping and peeing and hissing at me when I try to check to make sure he's not sick, so back to his old self. :)

Bee62

Germany
What a luck that he is still healthy, and what a luck you have found him so quick.
Sometimes such stories have a happy end. Glad to read of your happy end !