Eros and Gaia, A Fall Report

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
OK guys, here is the second report on my shelled buddies. Eros and Gaia are now dwelling in their new Winter home (see TwinEnclosureII ) they are doing well tho Eros has yet to climb to the second level, he had to be placed there for the Photo Shoot.

Eros--> 2 yrs 10 months old, 691 grams, 15.6 cm

Gaia--> 3 yrs 3 months old, 398 grams, 12.5 cm

Gaia is still VERY small for her age and Eros is also small in comparison to others his age but they are still 100% pyramid free. Eros is showing signs of being male with his long tail and using the same sign, Gaia is showing signs of being a female with a much shorter, stubby tail. Neither of them like the move indoors since they have a MUCH smaller roaming area but it beats 50* temps at night!

...and here are there traditional "Couples pics" Gaia is always so shy!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Both are BEAUTIFUL!!!!:)
Hows about some more pics of the indoor enclosure? You mentioning a second level especially peaked my interest!:p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Omg, have they gotten big. They look great too. It's fantatic you have one of each sex, how lucky. I would bet they will stay the sex they are looking. Thanks for the updates.

M

Maggie Cummings

Their carapaces are nice and smooth, looking good.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Even though Gaia has split scutes, that tail, or rather the position of the cloaca on the tail, sure looks male. My male SA leopard is quite a bit smaller than the female same age.

Your tortoises are beautiful. So smooth and pretty!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Those are the nicest looking leopards I've seen...WOW! And when I say that...I'm referring to them being smooth! This is my recourse with the Ivories...I don't care how fast (or slow) they grow! I want them smooth! Good job!

Last edited:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Job well done. I agree that you have a young pair on your hands. And a beautiful one at that

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
So beautiful and smooth. Just so beautiful. Thank you for sharing them....

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
So many wonderful comments about how smooth they look! Thanks everyone!

... and just for the record... they are still getting they're regular coating of Vita-Shell. All tho, during the Summer when they where outside it was more like once or twice a month. Now that they are inside again, and easier to retreave for such things, they will be going back to their weekly application.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you refresh our memory. Did you raise them in a closed chamber. Just used the vita shell. Both, or just high humidity but not being a closed chamber? Please, thank you.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Can you refresh our memory. Did you raise them in a closed chamber. Just used the vita shell. Both, or just high humidity but not being a closed chamber? Please, thank you.
They spent their 1st 2 years in a closed chambered, High Humidity / High Temp. enclosure with weekly applications of Vita-Shell from the day I got them. They had regular trips outside for natural UV Rays and when weather permitted during the Summers, they stayed outside.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
During summer, when they stayed outside, did they still have a humid hide, or just the vita shell? Not sure of your location, but if I remember correctly, you live with cold winters, correct? So you probably don't have a natural high humidity in the summer like Florida right? I am just trying to figure out if the smooth grow is due more to the high humidity, which I know it is for their first two years, but after that was it the vita shell that is keeping them smooth, or if there is still a high humidity place for them that is doing it? After the closed chamber stage, it seems like it is hard to keep,them growing smooth without a high humidity warm closed hide. Which seems harder to do for some. Would be nice if the vita shell could be a substitute,for those that are having problems with the humidity. At least until they get it worked out.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I live in North Texas. Summertimes they live outside, in a raised garden, under a grape vine. They have only the hides they find under plants and a few limbs I keep in the bed for them to hide under. Funny thing is... They preferred to hide under the Rosemary and basil plants. Humidity levels in Texas is no were near what Florida has and my son who is from Tennessee says I live in a desert.

FYI, WalkingRock was never kept in high humidity but did get a weekly coat of Vita-Shell and is one of the smoothest Sulcatas of his age and size on this site. HE is the reason I endorse Vita-Shell and these 2 little ones are only enforcing my claims. ;)