enclosure ??

sarbeth77

I have a year old sulcata named keagan who is get too big for his tank. I want to build a turtle table but not sure what kind of wood to use. And I've heard the wood can't be treated but need to be water proof. Or needs a lining but I'm afraid keagan will take it apart and eat it. Please help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If he's big enough, putting him outside would be way better than a tort table. Can we see a picture of the tortoise?

sarbeth77

He's the size of the entire palm of my hand he used to just the inside of my palm. And he in a 40 gallon tank right now,

sarbeth77

I live in Peoria as, I don't think he's big enough to go outside and I don't have a yard to out him in I live I a trailer park. And the weather lately has been either 70 deg or 95 deg. I am taking him out a couple times a week to try and reacclimate him to the high heat

sarbeth77

Oh i think it worked, and apparently he does not like his pic taken. I our the ChapStick next to him so u could better gage his size. Can u see it?

sarbeth77

Can someone please tell me what kinda wood to get, how to water proof it, I did read that someone coated it in acrylic to help humidity. But I was told not to treat it at all. I really need to get this project started n soon. Plaeas I need help?

sarbeth77

Is that a wood I could get at like a home depot or Lowes, and as far as the pond liner, r u sure he cant scratch through it, I'm afraid he can then try to eat it. I also read somewhere on here someone coated some part with acrylic to help with humidity but it didn't say whether it was on the inside or out side nor did it sound safe.

sarbeth77

Someone also suggested yellow wood that was waterproof but i am pretty sure that is treated, so is that safe? I've t a few days left to get all my research done cause my nephew and brother in law are coming over this weekend to build it

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Yes it is water resistant, you Can buy it at Home Depot in most places in 4*8 foot sheets for around 80$ a sheet.
Pvc board is by far in my opinion the best building material.

sarbeth77

Is there any other reg wood that is safe and waterproof or a way to waterproof it without pond liner

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If you are lining it, I don't think the type of wood you use matters that much. Water proof shower curtains can work instead of pond liner (they aren't as thick, but they're a lot cheaper).

sarbeth77

The thing is I'm afraid to line it, keagan scrapes the heck out of the tank now all the way to the bottom, if there's a liner in there he would shread it and maybe try to eat it. I just need to know what kind of would and how to water proof it. He's to big for the tank, so I need to get the turtle table started ifigd that be easier than upping tanks. There's no where for him outside at this time, but he needs more space and quick

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I've not found a way around using lining, but thick pond liner would be quite challenging to dig through. There are lots of ways to make wood water resistant, but it's hard and costly to make an enclosure totally water tight without a liner.

sarbeth77

You think he won't be able to get through it, he's even put little scratches in the glass at the bottom of the tank.not deep ones but still. And he will just sit there and dig and scratch after he's been at the bottom for like 20 mins to an hour