Enclosure top

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
If you have a species that needs to be kept humid then yes. Or if you have a tort that likes to climb.

Tort1419

I'm going to get a Russian tortoise what humidity level should it be at

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I am unsure about the particulars for Russian care...but check the care sheets in the species specific forum...and I'm sure some of the members who keep Russians will chime in soon :)

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
It depends on the tortoise's age.

If it is a hatchling/baby/juvie, then higher humidity (with warmth) is better for the tort. Use dampened coco coir, cypress mulch and/or fine fir bark to raise the humidity without a risk of mold.

If it is an adult or over 4" SCL, then an open top and/or outside is fine.

Tort1419

It depends on the tortoise's age.

If it is a hatchling/baby/juvie, then higher humidity (with warmth) is better for the tort. Use dampened coco coir, cypress mulch and/or fine fir bark to raise the humidity without a risk of mold.

If it is an adult or over 4" SCL, then an open top and/or outside is fine.
Hey could I also ask you about the best substrate, I know I'm going to include coco coir but what should I add, and how often should I completely empty out the substrate and add new substrate

Tort1419

Also if u could provide a good substrate that I could put in the tortoises enclosure but as well as one where I could grow weeds and plants in

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Coco coir is great because you don't really have to replace it, just do spot cleaning.
I guess it could last for years before a top up is necessary.