Elephant ears and Banana plants?

DoctorPotterWho

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My father has Elephant ear plants and banana trees in his back yard here in South Florida. He has never used any pesticides or fertilizers on them. Are both of these leaves edible and safe for my red foot?

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Elephant ear is high in oxalates. It is a mainstay in the Manouria tortoises' diet, however, my RF and YF tortoises don't eat it. I have cut off a banana frond occasionally for the RF and YF and they eat it, but I only give it to them occasionally.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
Elephant ear is high in oxalates. It is a mainstay in the Manouria tortoises' diet, however, my RF and YF tortoises don't eat it. I have cut off a banana frond occasionally for the RF and YF and they eat it, but I only give it to them occasionally.

Thank you! I have two nice sized Hibiscus plants (only leaves on it at the moment). They used to be in a smaller enclosure with my other Red Foot who passed from Resp. infec. I completely sanitized the planter box and replanted in fresh organic soil. Those should be fine still to transfer to the new outdoor enclosure, right?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I seem to have noticed that the things that tortoises like to eat are things that they can reach, in general? Weeds, low bushes and ground vines rather than tree leaves.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
One of my RF's obliterated an elephant ear we planted in the back yard. No ill effects from ingesting it, he wanted to see that plant die though. Had to fence it off, it's trying to recover :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
My mountain tortoises will eat any elephant ear and banana tree in site. Reds never touched it. Elephant war is toxic to most tortoises and turtles tho

Kyle

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am not sure what "Elephant Ears" is on this thread...we have something we call "Cocoa" Plant in Jamaica, (not cocoa as in chocolate) and the roots are eaten like yams by us humans and are delicious, the leaves do look just like elephant ears....

MichaelaW

5 Year Member
Harlingen, TX
Taro is often called elephant ear because they look very similar, but is a different plant called Colocasia esculenta. It's from the same family Araceae as elephant ear, which is called Alocasia.