Electric fence

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Does anyone have any experience with using an electric fence as protection from predators, possums and raccoons? Makes, model, pictures would be appreciated. I have too much space and enclosures are too large to cage in.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I've always just used regular hotline chargers. For the wire, I use the white hotline tape. The tap helps pets remember where it is. As for height of the tape, you want it to hit what would be below the eyes of the critters. I use this from horse hot lines. If a horse is hit by the line below it's eyes, it backs up. If hit above the eyes it will lunge forward.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I have a lot of success using them.
Same situation here. Way too man large pens and they can't be covered in any way. The electric fencing stops raccoons, cats, possums, skunks, coyotes, fox and some birds. Here, they've managed to protect big and small, everything from little western Hermann's and spotted turtles all the way up to Burmese stars, red foots, leopards, black mountains and Aldabras. Of course, once a certain size, many of these tortoises have little to fear but why take a chance...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Ken and Chris,

I was thinking of the horse tape for all the reasons you stated. How do you figure out which charger works best? Can you post a pic of your enclosure barrier/raccoon deterrent? Thanks.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
I have used a solar powered electric fence for 18 years. Never had a single problem, and I have seen cats, birds and an opossum change their mind about entering the pens ! I used the standard aluminum wire, but I don't have any pets I'm concerned about getting zapped - my dog is smart enough to stay away, and my wife's cat - well......