Egyptian tortoise baby - Where can I get one?

Bob Jim

Hey guys, in my search for a small sized tortoise (at least one that stays small for a long time) I think I've finally found the one. However, I understand that they're very hard to obtain. I live in Queens NYC and I'm willing to drive 30-40 miles if necessary, but does anyone know of a breeder or some reptile store nearby that sells this animal?

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
Sorry I can't help you with that, but for example Tunisian tortoises are also quite small.
Most Western Hermanns are not that big either and they can stay small for a long time if you grow them slowly and let them hibernate. My Eastern Hermanns (the bigger subspecies) will be two years old in August and weigh 50-60g now.

I just want to add that small size doesn't mean they are satiesfied with a small enclosure, Egyptians are a very active species and need lots of space! ;)

Bob Jim

Thank you for the response! Yea, I'm really looking for something that's doesn't need a huge amount of space and stays small for as long as possible. Those are all great options. The hard part is trying to find a place that sells these guys!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't let a tortoise's small size fool you. The small ones require a very large space too. Tortoises are not domesticated and they are hard-wired to wander over great distances in search of food. When you confine them to a small space it is quite stressful for them and they spend a lot of time digging in the corner and pacing the walls.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
how small of a space are we talking about?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm also looking for one...;);)

Bob Jim

Wow, it seems like everyone here is concerned about the space. I honestly had no idea how important it was before coming here -- thank you for letting me know! If it's better for the animal's wellbeing, I'll definitely purchase a larger enclosure than the one I had planned. Now, I found this site called my turtle store .com and they sell baby Hermann's tortoises for $217.88 (little extra for a hydration pack and food). Is that site okay to purchase from, and do you think the prices are decent for this species? Also, exactly how large do Hermann's tortoises get (and do they grow very fast?).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Growth rates depend on diet and environment- there's no saying

What on earth is a 'hydration pack' and what do they sell you as food?

A Hermann's is a grassland tort. It's diet is low protein and low sugar - leafy greens.

They cannot process sugars properly - it causes kidney problems - so fruit, carrot, tomato and bell pepper should be fed only occasionally.

They eat no animal protein and high protein veg like beans and peas should not be fed either.

As for hydration, a terracotta plant saucer makes the perfect water bowl. Pet stores try to sell you reptile bowls which are not suitable as their steep sides are a tipping hazard.

On top of that a high sided bowl that is not see-through is needed so you can soak your tort. Again that's nothing special.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Personally I'd buy from a breeder or someone you can at least talk to-if not physically see for yourself-how the babies are raised.
I've read too many horror stories where hatchlings die because of how they were initially brought up. :(

How much space do you have available for a tort? That might make it easier with what kinda tort you're looking to get.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I had a look at their website. It doesn't even say which subspecies they are offering and the picture shows a badly pyramided Greek instead of a Hermanns... I wouldn't order from them (at least not a tortoise).

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Bob
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463290162.262779.jpg
Why not buy your tort through the TFO ? All the help is free here ! And it's great and proven advise .
I got my Egypations from Texas 4 baby's cost 1400.00 dollars about 4-5 years ago .

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Wow, it seems like everyone here is concerned about the space. I honestly had no idea how important it was before coming here -- thank you for letting me know! If it's better for the animal's wellbeing, I'll definitely purchase a larger enclosure than the one I had planned. Now, I found this site called my turtle store .com and they sell baby Hermann's tortoises for $217.88 (little extra for a hydration pack and food). Is that site okay to purchase from, and do you think the prices are decent for this species? Also, exactly how large do Hermann's tortoises get (and do they grow very fast?).
Hello.
I have a hermanns tort named Spud.
I think that $217 is quite expensive. I'm In the uk and Spud was around £110 which I believe works out $157
Just for an idea of the growth here are some comparisons of when I got him, and a year later. (He was 5 weeks old when I got him) but like others said, they all have different growth rates. :)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463301760.728546.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1463301775.896971.jpg

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I think that $217 is quite expensive. I'm In the uk and Spud was around £110 which I believe works out $157
I'm always astonished about prices in other countries... :eek:
50$ would be normal over here (I've already seen offers for under 35$), maybe a little more for Western Hermanns.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You can find " cheap " all around the world that nice old lady that has had her tort for 10-15 years and has been feeding it dog food and peas the hold 10-15 years . And her tort laided some eggs and 2-3 hatched . So she is selling them for $35.00 or $50.00 . And now you wander why your baby will not eat or walks funny ?

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
You can find " cheap " all around the world that nice old lady that has had her tort for 10-15 years and has been feeding it dog food and peas the hold 10-15 years . And her tort laided some eggs and 2-3 hatched . So she is selling them for $35.00 or $50.00 . And now you wander why your baby will not eat or walks funny ?
That's why I like to buy from breeders.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
That's why I like to buy from breeders.
I wish I could get people to buy from TFO members . I don't like the term " breeders " everybody calls them selves " Breeders . And if someone's computer goes down someone else at the TFO will help and it's free and they aren't doing it to sell you something ! They do it because they love torts !

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I wish I could get people to buy from TFO members . I don't like the term " breeders " everybody calls them selves " Breeders . And if someone's computer goes down someone else at the TFO will help and it's free and they aren't doing it to sell you something ! They do it because they love torts !
When I say breeders I mean we'll known people. I didn't know about the TFO when I got Spud but if I ever get another tortoise, then I will definitely get one from here