Eggs on Mothers Day!

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
So excited that my girl Ellie finally decided to lay her first clutch of the season Sunday. Last season we got 2 clutches from her, but never any development unfortunately.

She had been pacing and digging test nests for about a week now so I'm glad she finally laid with no problems. Crossing my fingers for some hatchlings from her this year!!IMG_0886.JPG

seanang168

10 Year Member!
So excited that my girl Ellie finally decided to lay her first clutch of the season Sunday. Last season we got 2 clutches from her, but never any development unfortunately.

She had been pacing and digging test nests for about a week now so I'm glad she finally laid with no problems. Crossing my fingers for some hatchlings from her this year!!View attachment 207724
Same here, my stat tortoise laid one egg on mother's day. I am still finding my way on how to incubate.

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_180208.jpg
    IMG_20170514_180208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
Same here, my stat tortoise laid one egg on mother's day. I am still finding my way on how to incubate.
Congrats on your egg! I assume you mean star and not stat, I would love have a breeding pair of stars one day.

I have had good luck with my hovabator incubator. I keep temps between 86-88 depending on if I'm trying to get more females or even ratio of male to female. It was hard for me to find a source that said what humidity when I first started breeding, but I seem to have had good luck with a 60%-70% at the beginning then a little higher closer to the end.

seanang168

10 Year Member!
Congrats on your egg! I assume you mean star and not stat, I would love have a breeding pair of stars one day.

I have had good luck with my hovabator incubator. I keep temps between 86-88 depending on if I'm trying to get more females or even ratio of male to female. It was hard for me to find a source that said what humidity when I first started breeding, but I seem to have had good luck with a 60%-70% at the beginning then a little higher closer to the end.

Yes, star tortoise. 20 years old and male mounts female whenever he is free but his size is small and I am not sure if he did mate successfully. My humidity here generally is 70 to 90 percent. Normal temperature is around 79F to 90F depending on day or night. I got a feeling my vermiculite was too wet all these while. For this round, I use ratio of vermiculite to water by mass of 2:1 and set my temperature to 88F. I am using a small incubator by brinsea, the octagon 10.

Do you think I need to wet the vermiculite occasionally? How often and am I supposed to avoid the eggs? I use the syringe to add water around the egg in the past, like weekly. I now think maybe I used too much water.

Thanks

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
Yes, star tortoise. 20 years old and male mounts female whenever he is free but his size is small and I am not sure if he did mate successfully. My humidity here generally is 70 to 90 percent. Normal temperature is around 79F to 90F depending on day or night. I got a feeling my vermiculite was too wet all these while. For this round, I use ratio of vermiculite to water by mass of 2:1 and set my temperature to 88F. I am using a small incubator by brinsea, the octagon 10.

Do you think I need to wet the vermiculite occasionally? How often and am I supposed to avoid the eggs? I use the syringe to add water around the egg in the past, like weekly. I now think maybe I used too much water.

Thanks
I always get nervous I will add too much water to the substrate and cause the eggs to sweat, so I just pour water in my incubator in the tray at the bottom of it. I have also set a cup of water in it before.

I know some people say to put a damp paper towel over the eggs and put a lid with air holes on the container, but I have never really done that and have good luck with my Russian tortoise eggs.