Much of the power of the preferences models we use in this course derives
from one simple assumption: non-satiation, or “more is better.” Economists
assume that more of a good is always better than less. This does not mean that
you are equally happy with the tenth pizza as you are with the first; indeed,
as we learn later, your happiness increases less with each additional unit of a
good you consume.
Non-satiation simply implies that having that tenth pizza
is better than not having it.​

Gruber, Jonathan (2012-12-01). Public Finance and Public Policy (Page 27). Worth Publishers. Kindle Edition.

I strongly disagree that are happiness increases less with each additional tortoise. :tort:=:); :tort::tort:=:):); :tort::tort::tort:=:):):) Of course, that's just my opinion.

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Well this is simple, tortoises aren't consumables, i'm assuming we don't eat our tortoises, and consumables are things that are used once or a few times then gone. Well I'd be sad too if my 10th tortoise was gone as fast as a pizza! But instead you now have 10 torts not just the 10th tort.
And I'd probably be pretty unhappy on my 10th pizza... or very very sick...

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hahaha, I totally get that! I'm being 'forced' to take Financial Literacy (lame equivalent to Economics) this year to get extra credits in my electives category, and they said that consumers purchase products to maximize benefits. Or in other words, when you eat a candy bar, it is satisfying. When you eat second candy bar it is far less satisfying. Right, that's I eat the second candy bar... :p
Anyhow, agree :tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:=:D:D:D:D:D:D:<3::D:D:D 8 turtles=smiles :D:D:D

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Colorado
Well this is simple, tortoises aren't consumables, i'm assuming we don't eat our tortoises, and consumables are things that are used once or a few times then gone. Well I'd be sad too if my 10th tortoise was gone as fast as a pizza! But instead you now have 10 torts not just the 10th tort.
And I'd probably be pretty unhappy on my 10th pizza... or very very sick...

The book is not talking about consumables. It is talking about everything, but primarily focusing on goods. Most of the examples focus on buying CDs and movies. It's the same thing as a tortoise. You have a collection of CDs, a collection of movies, or a collection of tortoises.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Well, what kind of food, and what kind tortoise? Toss a tenth salad at me and I can assure you my joy will be incredibly lessened. Tenth brownie? ;).

Just like tortoises. I have little joy for taking in another rescued RES, but acquiring some new forstenii? I can assure you, I will be very excited!