Eating the soil

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi guys have this strange behavior, I think she need minerals integration but there are cuttlebones in the enclosure, what you think?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
What are you using as substrate? Does it have 'bits' in it? Is it damp? Is it packed down well? Do you have a coloured light?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
So your substrate looks normal - no white bits. It could be packed down a little harder.

There's no red bulb colouring the substrate red.

Do you use a calcium powder supplement? A tiny pinch should be sprinkled on food 3 times a week.
i leave a whole cuttlebone in the box, my hermann and my redfoot tortoise eat it, and i prefer this way so they could regulate themselves, anyway i reduce the cuttlebox to powder and put it on the food, i'll do it more often.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
i leave a whole cuttlebone in the box, my hermann and my redfoot tortoise eat it, and i prefer this way so they could regulate themselves, anyway i reduce the cuttlebox to powder and put it on the food, i'll do it more often.
If your tort is eating the substrate then it thinks it isn't getting the minerals it needs. I would bury your aversion to supplements for a while and see if a regular dose of powdered calcium (or powdered cuttlebone) or the mineral supplement in SarahChelonoidis' post fixes this.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
If they're mineral deficient, cuttle bone won't help. That's what a mineral supplement is for. Adding more weeds into their diet might help in the long term too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys have this strange behavior, I think she need minerals integration but there are cuttlebones in the enclosure, what you think?

What are you using for substrate? Is that soil?
What do you typically feed your tortoise?

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
today i ve found some bite on the cuttlebone, i feed them with some spontaneus weeds that grew in my garden (nettle, taraxacum ecc...)