Eating problems

Ria Marie

Location (City and/or State)
Queens, NY
I am having a hard time with getting my Russian Tortoise to eat different greens. The only thing she will eat is Romaine Lettuce. I've given her Collard Greens and Kale and she won't eat it. I dont know much about Tortoises. So is it okay for her to only eat Romaine Lettuce?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, it's not okay. You need to trick him into eating other things. Cut all foods up small, except the romaine. Chop the romaine a bit bigger then the other stuff. Spritz with water and mix it up. He will have to eat the other stuff to get the romaine. As he gets used to eating the other stuff, use less and less romaine

Ria Marie

Queens, NY
I've tried that with the pellets. I pushed them through the romaine and somehow she avoids it. Shes very stubborn and I don't want to starve her. What other foods should I try?

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
All of the above advice is spot on.

Be prepared for a battle of wills though. I had a rescued Russian that basically didn't eat anything for months. Now he rushes his food pile the second I put it down.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I just put a quantity of food down in the morning.
If it's all gone in the evening, it wasn't enough and you put more down the next day.
If there's some left it was enough.
They'll eat what they are given when they're hungry.
You are the boss.
And they won't overeat if they've got the space to exercise.

Ria Marie

Queens, NY
Hmm okay, how much do I feed her? Since she didnt eat the Kale and Collard Greens should I force her to eat that or substitute it with some other type of greens?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I would offer a nice variety, see what she likes.
But only of the healthy stuff.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Provide a mix everyday. Feed the same mix everyday until it is all eaten. They will usually eat a pile about the same size as them. When I am trying to make them eat new foods I feed a little less. Hunger is the best tool you have. Add additional foods one at a time slowly.
Persistence is key.