1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Eastern Hermann's Tortoise Question

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by LilGaylordGirl, Aug 12, 2017.

1. LilGaylordGirl

LilGaylordGirl New Member

Hey guys! Long time no see! Quick update, Boggy is wonderful! Best investment ever!!! I do have a question about his behavior though. When I poke my head into his habitat and he's actually awake, he tends to like move his throat and front legs as if he's coughing. Is that normal? Or if not, what could be the problem? Oh and do tortoises make any kind of noise?
  2. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    The leg movement is just him breathing. Tortoises do not have a muscular diaphragm so use their legs to pump their lungs, especially when excited or frightened.
    Tortoises occasionally squeak when mating, and can hiss by compressing the lungs and forcing air out through the nares (nostrils). They can sneeze and fart, too. ;)
  3. LilGaylordGirl

LilGaylordGirl New Member

Thank you! That clears things up a bit actually. I thought he was coughing, or something. Now since I know its normal I don't have to freak out! :)
    Tidgy's Dad likes this.