Eastern box turtle help

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
That is a really beautiful, healthy, and large EBT! I don't see any pyramiding, and at that size, don't anticipate there will be any in the future. It has probably reached it's full size. Do you know the gender? I'm guessing male, but if you post some pictures of it's vent and tail we can offer multiple opinions..

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
He looks good, is he still roaming the floor with the Sulcata?

That is a really beautiful, healthy, and large EBT! I don't see any pyramiding, and at that size, don't anticipate there will be any in the future. It has probably reached it's full size. Do you know the gender? I'm guessing male, but if you post some pictures of it's vent and tail we can offer multiple opinions..
Yeah he's a male with his caved in bottom and red eyes

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Beautiful! And no signs of pyramiding - don't worry.

BTW, thank you so much guys for the feedback and I've had him on mulch for years and im thinking of getting him eco earth, if anybody was wondering I just put two cement mixing tubs together to make his home because he escaped when he was a baby when it was just a regular cement tub, and I've been noticing fruit flies I think or a little flying black insect, is that normal?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487301261.876576.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487301281.683605.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487301297.962106.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
BTW, thank you so much guys for the feedback and I've had him on mulch for years and im thinking of getting him eco earth, if anybody was wondering I just put two cement mixing tubs together to make his home because he escaped when he was a baby when it was just a regular cement tub, and I've been noticing fruit flies I think or a little flying black insect, is that normal?View attachment 200013View attachment 200014View attachment 200015
I think he would like the eco earth that way he can burrow down and dig easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
BTW, thank you so much guys for the feedback and I've had him on mulch for years and im thinking of getting him eco earth, if anybody was wondering I just put two cement mixing tubs together to make his home because he escaped when he was a baby when it was just a regular cement tub, and I've been noticing fruit flies I think or a little flying black insect, is that normal?View attachment 200013View attachment 200014View attachment 200015

Hello, most likely you have some fungus gnats in the enclosure. You can get some sticky stakes to control the population. Similar to this: ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487302492.461449.jpg

If they are fruit flies, you can make your own trap with a plastic cup, apple peal, apple cider vinegar, dawn dish soap, Saran Wrap, rubber band, and a tooth pick to poke holes in Saran Wrap. Just keep it on outside of enclosure.
I would also go with the eco earth.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
And he's 47 now, I didn't think you were that old. You've done a great job for that long of time with him