Eastern Box Keeps Coming Out of cave head lays on ground Help

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
she does look better than I pictured from your description , she doesn't look particularly well to me though ...... i'm in zone 5b , my box turtles won't be coming up anytime soon , around the end of april beginning of may , I've never seen one come up before mid april ...... when they come out , they don't eat but they're strong , close up normally when picked up or startled , and move well and are healthy looking , when cleaned off they're actually about as brightly colored as they get ..............when some have come up and I know the weather is not going to get below freezing for more than an occasional night , and the days are getting 60-70 , I've dug up plenty , soaked them , and they look good right away ........ i'll put them back in the leaf pile , and they move around normally ........... if one looks ill coming out of hibernation I assume they are , or are going to be shortly ....... jmo

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It's not unusual for a box turtle to emerge and then go back and forth to the hibernaculum in the spring as the temperature start to warm up. At least in my area, the last several weeks have felt like spring. Your turtle may just be confused if you are having the same weather. Overall, this winter has been unusually warm and your turtles may not have gotten cold enough to go into a successfully dormant state and were burning energy and lost lots of weight. The only way to know for sure would be to take some temerature readings in your cave. Start weighing your turtle too. You can tell a lot about their health state by their weight.

I don't think your turtle looks bad. I would keep up with the soakings and heat and watch it closely. Be on the lookout for the other 4 turtles too.

DEBBIEDIPI

Ky
she does look better than I pictured from your description , she doesn't look particularly well to me though ...... i'm in zone 5b , my box turtles won't be coming up anytime soon , around the end of april beginning of may , I've never seen one come up before mid april ...... when they come out , they don't eat but they're strong , close up normally when picked up or startled , and move well and are healthy looking , when cleaned off they're actually about as brightly colored as they get ..............when some have come up and I know the weather is not going to get below freezing for more than an occasional night , and the days are getting 60-70 , I've dug up plenty , soaked them , and they look good right away ........ i'll put them back in the leaf pile , and they move around normally ........... if one looks ill coming out of hibernation I assume they are , or are going to be shortly ....... jmo
All our other 4 are still sleeping.

DEBBIEDIPI

Ky
It's not unusual for a box turtle to emerge and then go back and forth to the hibernaculum in the spring as the temperature start to warm up. At least in my area, the last several weeks have felt like spring. Your turtle may just be confused if you are having the same weather. Overall, this winter has been unusually warm and your turtles may not have gotten cold enough to go into a successfully dormant state and were burning energy and lost lots of weight. The only way to know for sure would be to take some temerature readings in your cave. Start weighing your turtle too. You can tell a lot about their health state by their weight.

I don't think your turtle looks bad. I would keep up with the soakings and heat and watch it closely. Be on the lookout for the other 4 turtles too.
Yes it was 70 here today maybe that's all it is I sure hope so. She is soaking now head went under for a few seconds then back up . Can I soak her more then 2 times a day?

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
If one looks like skin and bones the others might too. Like mark1 was saying he does, you can dig them up and check on them.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
it's been full sun and 53 , 69 , 65 , and 67 today , my surface ground temp is 42 ..... tomorrow is supposed to be 64 , then 66 and 71 Friday .......you can keep her in shallow water .... this description for this Russian is what is normal for my easterns .......

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/that-was-fast-hibernation-is-over.152104/

For comparison, in mid-Atlantic zone 7 yesterday, we had air temp of 71, surface soil temp in full sun of 64, surface soil temp in the shade of 52 and my southerly facing brick patio was 89! I brought all the turtles out for some fun in the sun. :)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I forgot to add, turtle carapace temps got up to 85.

DEBBIEDIPI

Ky
You all gave me great advice. I soaked my box tur for 1 hr with carrots shredded in the water. I put her back in her temporary inside home with heat light and UVB light gave some tuna fish in a dish and she is chasing it everywhere LOL It is so good to see her eating. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! GOD BLESS YOU

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
You all gave me great advice. I soaked my box tur for 1 hr with carrots shredded in the water. I put her back in her temporary inside home with heat light and UVB light gave some tuna fish in a dish and she is chasing it everywhere LOL It is so good to see her eating. THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP! GOD BLESS YOU
That's awesome!