Earwig-like looking bugs in my substrate

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I have noticed little critters in my substrate (coco coir, mixed with organic soil 5:1, reptibark on the bottom and moss on the surface). Tried to take pictures but they are small and very fast, wiggle right into the substrate before the camera has chance to fire off. They look like a smaller version of earwig, just very slender and smaller, the longest I've seen was about 1/2 inch long. They are brown and shiny with those "pincers" at the end (just like earwig). I have several earthworms and couple of pillbugs living in there as well, and those are fine, I want them there but those fast moving things kinda creep me out. They don't seem to bother my torts but I thought I'd try to get some feedback from the our community and see if anyone else with biosubstrate has seen those and knows enough to tell me that they are "ok" for my babies' ecosystem. Otherwise I'd have to dump the entire thing out in the garden and start over, which I'd hate to do. I've spent lot of time and money of building this nice thick layer of living breathing substrate that supports plant growth, provides for nice warm and humid climate for the babies. Anybody else seen those boogers?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Guess we can close this issues. Last night I read about "soil centipedes" and think my little "bug problem" fits the description. No idea where they came from, maybe hit he a ride with one of the plants. So for bio-substrate now all I need is more pillbugs (already have earthworms and now discovered soil centipedes). I'm also researching hermit crabs but don't think I'll go that route.