Dry shell/skin

Shay Waddell

I soak my tort everyday but his shell still seems dry in some spots and his head is always dry. Is there any kind of cream I could put on him to keep hydrated?

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I soak my tort everyday but his shell still seems dry in some spots and his head is always dry. Is there any kind of cream I could put on him to keep hydrated?
If you are soaking him in chlorinated water it can have a withering affect on skin. It is generally difficult to keep tortoise skin lubricated and well hydrated unless the ambient humidity is adequate. If you are in Florida and they are outside, no problem. There are creams and lotions available but they are generally superficial. I am sure there are people on this forum that can give you ideas on how they deal with this problem but in my experience it is simply a cosmetic issue unless the skin is dried out to the point it is cracking and ulcerating. In that case veterinary attention would be desired.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you are soaking him in chlorinated water it can have a withering affect on skin. It is generally difficult to keep tortoise skin lubricated and well hydrated unless the ambient humidity is adequate. If you are in Florida and they are outside, no problem. There are creams and lotions available but they are generally superficial. I am sure there are people on this forum that can give you ideas on how they deal with this problem but in my experience it is simply a cosmetic issue unless the skin is dried out to the point it is cracking and ulcerating. In that case veterinary attention would be desired.

I had stepped away from my computer after composing the above and then sent it before seeing pfara's response to your question. But the response from pfara is a perfect example of the excellent advice you can receive on this outlet.

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This reminds me of what I'd been doing. I was de chlorinating and filtering my cherryhead's drinking and misting water but was soaking the little guy/girl in water straight from the tap. Then it occurred to me that his soaking water (he gets a "bath" twice a day now) needs to be de chlorinated, too. I'm not worried about filtering the soaking water since I filter it mostly to keep my misting system flowing longer. Luckily, my little tort wasn't affected by his two weeks or so of chlorinated tap water soaks.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Two seconds?? I can hardly ever find old posts :D

I have not thought to dechlorinate my soaking water, would it make much of a difference? (I have russian, hehehe)

I really wouldn't make such a fuss over removing chlorine from water. I think it's safe to say that most people use tap water without any issues. Like the thread said: dry skin isn't really an indication of health problems (granted if you provide proper husbandry); sometimes it just happens. I mostly condition my tap water for the plants in the enclosure.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I really wouldn't make such a fuss over removing chlorine from water. I think it's safe to say that most people use tap water without any issues. Like the thread said: dry skin isn't really an indication of health (granted if you provide proper husbandry); sometimes it just happens. I mostly condition my tap water for the plants in the enclosure.
Thanks. My russian usually has some flaky skin (he seems to be always shedding) and I make sure the humidity stays up, the substare damp, and he always has fresh water :D