Drought plants for sulcata

alex_ornelas

Location (City and/or State)
newark ca
Hey everyone. I would like to start planting some plants in my yard that I can pick for Oliver instead of buying grocery store products. But the issue is California is in a drought and water supplies are being cut back. Besides cactus dose anyone have suggestions as to what I can plant that is eye pleasing sulcata friendly and drought friendly. Thanks :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Great question!! I was asking myself the same thing!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Desert willows are very drought tolerant and eye appealing. Yuccas are a favorable plant too. They take some time getting some size to them. But are worth the wait. Once they reach 2-3' high they offer a fantastic umbrella for shade and refuge. Wax willows are a very drought tolerant bushy small tree too.

Prairie Mom

Something to keep in mind... Anything you plant now is still going to need extra water to get established. Even drought tolerant plants won't actually be DROUGHT tolerant until their roots are established and they're happily growing about a year later. Your main trick right now is going to be getting ANY healthy plants well watered and established with the drought.

More plant ideas:
Succulents like: Sedum Album (white stone crop) and probably every other Sedum, Hens & Chicks (Sempervivum & House Leek), Jovibarba is another kind of plant that grows like Hens and chicks.

Weeds like dandelions, black medic, and mallow would be good and take less water. (I've bought Dandelion and Mallow seeds from Amazon)

Also--nearly ANY perennial or older Annual will take WAY LESS water than the avg lawn and help you conserve. People would save water and the fortune to spend on using the water, if they'd just rip out their lawns and put in gardens (edible or floral). Once established most of my perennials can survive (sometimes a little unhappily) with brief watering a couple times a week. Even deeply planted well established shrubs take less watering.

Try to save water by mulching heavily around your plants, burying soaker hoses or using drip irrigation, and whenever you cook at home and boil your vegetables or pasta in water, be sure to let the water cool over night and dump that nutritious water into a plant outside.

Good luck! I really don't envy your tough situation!!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Run a line from your gray water line to water your plants . Just use plant safe soaps.