drive 5 1/2 hours to reptile show?

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
There is a reptile show in 2 weeks close to me. Don't know any of the vendors, website not very informative. Or in 3 weeks drive over 5 hours to a show that is bigger, more organized and that has a vendor I respect going to it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Do you plan on buying something?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you really want to go, then no distance is too far. In the olden days I used to drive to Southern California to attend reptile shows (5 or 6 hour drive). But now that I'm older and more sedentary, that's just too far for me to go.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I have never been to a reptile show! I bet it's pretty cool, but do they charge more for their reptiles than a pet store or the same?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Sounds like a fun adventure. Go while you have the time.
I have never been to a retile show, but many years ago, I
planned my vacation to stop on the other side of Florida to go
to an American Rabbit Breeders of America Convention that is
once a year. I had an awesome time, 10k rabbits in one location.
And that was where I purchased my one and only rabbit that had
papers like a dog. The rabbit was from California & I took it to a local
Judge so that she could be registered. Oh, those days were awesome.
My hubby and i have gone to coral reef events like MACNA & Reefapolloza ! It will be fun and you might even see new things!!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I've been on three reptile shows but I don't want to go anymore. Most vendors put their reptiles in little plastic boxes, transport them a far distance to the show and if the show is on two days, the reptiles have to stay in those little boxes the whole time in a noisy place full of people.
Many unusual species are sold and of course it's interesting to see them and talk to breeders, but I don't want to support the shows anymore because it must be extremely stressful for the animals.

If I would want to buy a reptile (especially some common species like russians or hermanns), I would rather drive a few hours to visit a reliable breeder.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So your wanting to go to the show just to get a tortoise? I would first try contacting any of the known vendors at both shows to see if they will be having any tortoises there even. Often these shows are mainly snakes and lizards with frogs thrown into the mix, not big on tortoises.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
So your wanting to go to the show just to get a tortoise? I would first try contacting any of the known vendors at both shows to see if they will be having any tortoises there even. Often these shows are mainly snakes and lizards with frogs thrown into the mix, not big on tortoises.
Ok thank you I will ask the one I know. Thank you :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
the one vendor I know and a member here will have torts. and I would get to meet him. I love the way he does things. just a really long trip. I will ask my husband if he will go with me. I can't drive that far lol. would be really long on back roads.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
To get to meet a member whom I like, I would be making the trip. lol More fun with company though. Make it into a fun day, not just about the show and perhaps hubby will be more likely to want to go. :)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
To get to meet a member whom I like, I would be making the trip. lol More fun with company though. Make it into a fun day, not just about the show and perhaps hubby will be more likely to want to go. :)
i bet he will. he wants to make me happy. I have been very depressed since our Tuxy had to be put to sleep. He said he hadn't seen me as happy as I was when I got Tuxy. :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like a sweet and understanding guy, so I bet your right. :) Let's hope the weather stays good for you that weekend.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My husband and i drove to the Portland show a bit ago. We made a weekend of it. It was my first and was interesting, but the best part was getting to meet several forum members. Was worth the just over 5 hour drive to me.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Sounds like a sweet and understanding guy, so I bet your right. :) Let's hope the weather stays good for you that weekend.
i know. I asked the breeder what he wants me to bring to make sure the baby is safe on the trip home. Is it normal to be this terrified :(

Heather H

N.E. ohio
My husband and i drove to the Portland show a bit ago. We made a weekend of it. It was my first and was interesting, but the best part was getting to meet several forum members. Was worth the just over 5 hour drive to me.
i think the only reason I would take the trip is that I trust one of the breeders who will be there.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Have you considered the All Ohio Reptile Show in, believe it or not, Hilliard, OH? I used to go when I lived there. Usually torts even back then - before torts were cool...

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Have you considered the All Ohio Reptile Show in, believe it or not, Hilliard, OH? I used to go when I lived there. Usually torts even back then - before torts were cool...
i may be going there its on the 15th . It does not show the vendors so I don't know anything about how the babies were raised. ironic about the name of where it is. maybe its a sign . lol

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
i know. I asked the breeder what he wants me to bring to make sure the baby is safe on the trip home. Is it normal to be this terrified :(

Getting a new baby (especially with your sad history) is going to make you nervous. It'll be okay, you'll be okay. *hugs*