Dried Maple leaf in Tortoise enclosure

16rash

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
Hi All,

Can i use maple leaf litter for my hingeback tortoise enclosure? Is it safe? I live in Ohio, US.

Thanks!
Rashmi

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
I have a 20 year old sulcata that has been eating the fallen maple leaves each fall and winter for years.
oh really :) i have read in some forum that some dried maple leaves are toxic to tortoise.
so now i am gonna mix lots of maple leaves with soil and moss for my hingeback tortoise.

Thank you!

16rash

5 Year Member
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks Anyfoot! they look quite active. My hingeback, Zura has become very inactive since last week..temperature has gone down to 0C at my place. do i need to take any any specific care for winters. This is be my first winter with Zura, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !
Rashmi

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks Anyfoot! they look quite active. My hingeback, Zura has become very inactive since last week..temperature has gone down to 0C at my place. do i need to take any any specific care for winters. This is be my first winter with Zura, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !
Rashmi
Mine have slowed down dramatically this last week too, they sit amongst the leafs occasionally coming out to feed then back to hiding. It's the norm.
My adults seem to have taken up rest in the outside section of the indoor enclosure where it is room temperature(about 16/18°c) if I physically put them in the large warm closed section they find their way back to the outside section by the morning. I can only assume that when they sense winter is coming they go into some sort of shutdown mode.