Dresser for enclosure

stravo

Have any of you folks done this. Turned a dresser or a piece of furniture into an enclosure for you tortoise. If so lost up some pics. I'm about to start my build today.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I haven't but yes many have here and it's a suggested idea all the time. Look in the enclosure section, you might find some pics there.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have. I turned it so the back became the bottom. Removed the drawers and ribs and lined it with a tarp. Easy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have any of you folks done this. Turned a dresser or a piece of furniture into an enclosure for you tortoise. If so lost up some pics. I'm about to start my build today.

What species and size tortoise is this for?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
ZEROPILOT and Tom are correct. I did not specify that I did this for a box turtle. Not a large tort!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Baby redfoots. 2 of them. Dresser is 6ft long and 2 ft front to back

You will need to close it in somehow to maintain heat and humidity. An open table won't work. I think you'd be better off designing and building a closed chamber.

Also, your tortoises should not live together as a pair. Its a recipe for disaster. Groups are usually okay, but pairs are usually a problem.

stravo

You will need to close it in somehow to maintain heat and humidity. An open table won't work. I think you'd be better off designing and building a closed chamber.

Also, your tortoises should not live together as a pair. Its a recipe for disaster. Groups are usually okay, but pairs are usually a problem.
These 2 have been together for the past 7 months. I had 2 that lived together for 12 years that I got when I was a kid. But that being said there will be a removable partition in middle so i can make it bigger for more runninh room.dresser is completely enclosed. Solid oak whole way around. There will be enough ventilation from the one open spot bottom of dresser.

stravo

2570221efc1d8b132c280e5e894da52a.jpg
2f43e813990fbd6460099565edb234ad.jpg
4631a810ff6f1dafba3d713b5aa46e80.jpg
0039692878674951574c2e31f2488b1a.jpg
this is the finished product. Stays a constant 82° and 75% humidity. They love their heated pond. Every morning when lights come on they both go straight for the pond and wade around. I think it turned out rather nice. I started plans for the next hut when they get bigger.

stravo

I know there is a size difference but they have been together for the last 9 months with no problems. Before someone points that out.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
This is a different take than the usual converted furniture enclosures. I personally wouldn't like the fully opaque front preventing me from seeing in, but if you have a particularly busy house then perhaps being somewhat hidden is actually preferable for the tortoises.

How are you finding the pond stays clean - can you lift the entire thing out to do water changes?

stravo

This is a different take than the usual converted furniture enclosures. I personally wouldn't like the fully opaque front preventing me from seeing in, but if you have a particularly busy house then perhaps being somewhat hidden is actually preferable for the tortoises.

How are you finding the pond stays clean - can you lift the entire thing out to do water changes?
I put a rubber grommet (boat plug) in the corner. Pull it out and drain it. I have 2 young boys that would constantly be messing with them. That's why I made the front solid and put the viewing window on the top. Tortoises seem to be happy