Dominant baby Tortoise

DDrivera

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga, California
there is so much incredible information here and I found that it is not healthy for my Sulcata tortoises to be housed together. I pretty much read every possible thread regarding this and opinions varied. However, I unexpectedly received two tortoises and this brought up the great concern for me. They seem to get along great but once I educated myself on this topic I began to check their behavior more than usual and I found the dominant tortoise.

I'm posting this for a laugh as well because the tortoise that I least expected to be dominant is the one that was dominant. They are special to me and you learn their personalities but boy did he have me fooled. He is a little bit smaller than the other and every time I would come out, he would look, and respond to me and seem so shy and timid.

Not until I created the humid hide... He didn't see me coming as they usually do (they are responsive to me and look at me I they see me). Well, I was able to catch him off guard and see him trying to bite at the other tortoises shell as she was facing the corner in the humid hide. At first I thought he was taking a bite of the mulch but I seen her move every time he's had moved and I happened to see him snapping at her shell.

I'm concerned don't get me wrong but it was also a little funny because I'm learning them and the way my 1 1/2 year old son makes me laugh when I catch him doing something that's how I felt with them lol

It looks like he will be rehomed sooner than later. I have a potential family friend of mine who is interested. With the knowledge that I gained over the past three days I'm sure that I can help her create a beautiful home for him.

I'm assuming he is a boy because he smaller & his tail is skinnier; she's a little bit bigger and her tail is a wider and short.. but those are just my thoughts from info I read.

Any suggestions while I find rd-home

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I get the funny, I would have laughed too. Nothing like having to spy on your tortoises to get the truth out of them.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Sexual behavior among tortoises includes biting. It can be abusive. That's why we don't keep pairs.