Does your tortoise ever...

macky9326

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
The past few weeks Toby's been very active, constantly wanting out his box and wanting to see us, but in the last 7 days he just Lounges around in his box, he's eating pooping and peeing just fine but he's like a whole new tortoise, he will run around if we take him out before snuggling himself into a corner and falling asleep.

Are your tortoises prone to behaviour changes or is this unusual behaviour?

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
My Zebulun, a red foot, is more active after I change up his pen. Maybe he is just used to his surrounding and doesn't need to explore it.

nkkritters

My Cherry head Red foot tortoise gets very active before he has to defecate. He also asks to get out when I get home from work. Sometimes, he will skip a day and burrow in his substrate.

Rural

5 Year Member
Denmark
Sometimes my tortoises bask all day, other times they run around like maniacs, and once in a while they have a few days where they just stay in their hide and do nothing all day.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Mine goes through these periods as well. But when I change her enclosure arround I too see more activity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you say you "take him out" do you mean you put him on the floor in your house to run around?

If yes then what you are seeing when he runs around is a scared tortoise in an unfamiliar area looking for a place to hide. Letting them roam around loose, indoors or out, outside of a proper enclosure is a very dangerous practice and it leads to many injuries and deaths each year.

From your description, it sounds like he's comfortable in his "box".

nkkritters

Yes, I take him out of his enclosure. He is not scared. He loves to follow me and my dog around, and then will sit at my feet and sit there while I watch TV. If I don't let him out, he will climb the wall and sometimes fall over. I think it is more dangerous for him NOT to get out and exercise and socialize with us.

macky9326

Scotland
Yes, I take him out of his enclosure. He is not scared. He loves to follow me and my dog around, and then will sit at my feet and sit there while I watch TV. If I don't let him out, he will climb the wall and sometimes fall over. I think it is more dangerous for him NOT to get out and exercise and socialize with us.

I agree, my Toby when he wants out will try and try and I'm always afraid he will flip, so he comes out and sits with us, he takes a great interest in my chair and my socks, but I fully respect and understand the injury and risk factor with letting them out, it's a catch 22.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Please keep your dog away from your tortoise.
I've seen at least three 'dog bit my tortoise' threads already this week.

nkkritters

My dog gets up and walks away if he gets close. I am aware some dogs bite turtles/tortoises as I have rehabbed some. I am always right there when they are together.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
My two torts were very active and now that I move to another home they stop being so active. But they keep eating and doing everything normal.