Does this tortoise look healthy?

I would say he is around 5 years old, but not older because he is still very bright. Babies are around the size of a half dollar bill coin. Tortoises usually stop growing after 2 years, and my 10 year old tort. is the same size. Are you are sure he is 6 months old? If you got him at a pet shop, they often get the ages wrong. If you can tell me more about your tortoises behavior, like how often it eats and poops, I can help you determine the age. For now, it looks healthy. Do you have any concerns that made you ask the question that you are worried about? If your tortoise has been acting strangely, I would not be able to tell in a picture. Please let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Thank you,
Kayla

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
How big is he? How long or how much does he weigh? Determining age is almost impossible. But people might be able to tell you if it is a juvenile or adult

cheertortoises

Doesn't look 6 months old. There are a lot of growth rings and nail are long. I'm not an expert though. Looks good otherwise...
I would say he is around 5 years old, but not older because he is still very bright. Babies are around the size of a half dollar bill coin. Tortoises usually stop growing after 2 years, and my 10 year old tort. is the same size. Are you are sure he is 6 months old? If you got him at a pet shop, they often get the ages wrong. If you can tell me more about your tortoises behavior, like how often it eats and poops, I can help you determine the age. For now, it looks healthy. Do you have any concerns that made you ask the question that you are worried about? If your tortoise has been acting strangely, I would not be able to tell in a picture. Please let me know if you have any more questions. :)

Thank you,
Kayla
I visited a pet shoo today and thought he was really cute and wanted to get some advice. I am looking to get a Russian in the next two weeks. He was around the size of a tennis ball. Please let me know if you still think he is around 5 years. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 33

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the Russian care sheet under the species specific section. Where did the pet store say they got him? The Mail Russian is usually smaller than the female so knowing if it's a boy or a girl would help maybe determine closer to the right age. Maybe :) I would guess he probably is pretty young. The show looks in good shape. But remember that these tortoises can live over 50 years. So whether he's five years 10 years or 20 years old it doesn't really matter.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
If he was raised dry then he could have a small size body but a lot of growth rings and long nails. That would make him an older juvenile. Definitely not 6 months though. 1.5 years at least I think... That's a guess.