Does my tort look healthy

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
My Russian has an overgrown beak and what look like long nails. Is this just a sign of too soft foods (spring mix), or mbd. I have OCD so I might just be stressing.

IMG_0284.PNG IMG_0282.PNG IMG_0281.PNG IMG_0268.JPG

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Put some rough rocks in your enclosure. They will help to wear down the claws as your tort scrambles over them. Russian's claws are naturally pretty long anyway.

The beak should wear down naturally when eating. This one does need clipping.

You have cuttlebone which is good. Food needs to be served on a large piece of flat rock or slate, or even the rough back of a wall tile (not the pretty shiny side) which will help wear down the beak.

Then your tort needs to tear at plants it eats. Grow some in pots and sink them into the substrate. Also don't cut food up small; make your tort have to rip it up.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
He loves his collards, even the stalky parts, and currently eats out of a terracotta saucer. Would you recommend clipping the beak or filing?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Yvonne G is the expert on this one. We have never had to clip a beak in over 45 years of tort ownership.

It looks like there's a lot to do from what I can see. I think filing will take too long. Clipping it with nail clippers - a tiny bit at a time; don't try to do big chunks - is the start I'd make.

Or getting a vet to do it may prove simpler and less stressful for both you and your tort.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
@Yvonne G is the expert on this one. We have never had to clip a beak in over 45 years of tort ownership.

It looks like there's a lot to do from what I can see. I think filing will take too long. Clipping it with nail clippers - a tiny bit at a time; don't try to do big chunks - is the start I'd make.

Or getting a vet to do it may prove simpler and less stressful for both you and your tort.

I got a clipper and file board today. I was to nervous to try to try t clip it, but he did real well with the file. I`ll get some styptic powder and try to carefully clip it. Thank you for your advise.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Cornstarch (Called corn flour in the UK) makes good styptic powder. You shouldn't be going close to bleeding when clipping a beak

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Put some rough rocks in your enclosure. They will help to wear down the claws as your tort scrambles over them. Russian's claws are naturally pretty long anyway.

The beak should wear down naturally when eating. This one does need clipping.

You have cuttlebone which is good. Food needs to be served on a large piece of flat rock or slate, or even the rough back of a wall tile (not the pretty shiny side) which will help wear down the beak.

Then your tort needs to tear at plants it eats. Grow some in pots and sink them into the substrate. Also don't cut food up small; make your tort have to rip it up.
Hi Linda. Could one cut a torts claws? I thought of doing it time and once again but haven't had enough courage.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yes. With nail clippers. A little at a time. Taking care not to make them bleed and the blood goes a surprisingly long way down the claw.

Joe has worn his down to bleeding several times just by walking on paving slabs, so personally I would rather put rocks in the enclosure that can be removed rather than clip.