Does my new red foot have shell rot??

ashleigh-Jade22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK - South West
Hello guys,

I've been meaning to introduce myself in the introduction section but I've not had the time (only had my tortoise for 2 Days!)

I'm a little worried about my one year old Red foot tortoise shell. I took her out for a bath today and notice a smell coming from her (it was after she pooped!) But on closer inspection I fear she has shell rot. Could I have some more experienced opinions please?

I live in the UK, and as I said I've only had my new addition for 2 days.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.JPG
    IMG_0316.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 109

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That MAY or MAY not be very early onset fungus.
A few dabs or Athletes Foot cream will quickly cure it if so. If not, the cream will do no harm.
There should be no unusual smell associated with it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure to keep him on a dry top layer of substrate while making it humid by only wetting the bottom layers of substrate.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Be sure to keep him on a dry top layer of substrate while making it humid by only wetting the bottom layers of substrate.
A lot of use two substrate layers/types.
I use a layer of Orchid bark covered by a layer of garden soil. By pouring water into the corners, the bark absorbs the liquid and gives off humidity. But allows the top layer to stay pretty dry.
BTW, because of a Redfoots high humidity requirement, shell fungus is not all too uncommon. So look often and treat if needed. At least until you get the enclosure "dialed in".

ashleigh-Jade22

5 Year Member
UK - South West
Sorry for the extremely late reply! I just wanted to thank you for your replies. I got some athletes foot cream and it's back to the perfect shell now! Thanks again guys!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The cream will stop the fungus, but the scars left behind, if there are some, will take a lot longer to heal. So it is normal to still be able to see some pitting even after the fungus is dead.