Does my light look like it's a good distance away from my tortoise?

Molly J

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
image.jpg hello!! I'm a new Russian tortoise owner! :) I bought a MV bulb for him (100watt) and I just wanted to get opinions on if it seems far away enough where he won't get harmed? Right now he's outside, but I attached an image of the light on his habitat. Tortoise shell is about the size of my palm. Thanks in advance!! :)

Molly J

New Jersey
Also, I know his may be a dumb question, but I'm really trying to do everything right for him! I know I've read it should be 12" away from turtles shell. Now when I measure that, am I measuring from the bulb to his sell or the actual bottom of the fixture to his shell? Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Molly J

New Jersey
If my thermometer isn't showing going above 85 degrees, does that mean I can lower it?? Definitely want some opinions please!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Molly.

Only your thermometer can answer this question for you. Put your thermometer probe on top of a rock of brick that is about the same height as your tortoise and let it cook directly under the lamp for an hour or two. I also like to have a flat rock or piece of slate under the bulb for basking.

I hate to bum you out, but that enclosure is wayyyyy too small for a palm sized russian. I suggest 4x8' as a minimum.

Check these out:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Molly, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
It looks a safe distance to me, the packaging will tell you the optimum distance for this brand.
Measure from the bottom of the bulb to the top of the tortoises shell.
You can raise or lower the lamp to some extent but be careful.
I would purchase a laser 'gun' thermometer as those old analog ones aren't always very accurate.
And a hygrometer to measure the humidity.

Molly J

New Jersey
Thanks for your responses! I plan to get a bigger indoor habitat soon. For now that's all I could find at the store that was big enough. I've read that Christmas tree storage totes are good, but I have to wait till the season.

Molly J

New Jersey
IMG_5319.JPG IMG_5320.JPG IMG_5321.JPG Does this look way too small for my Russian tortoise? I know they love a lot of space but this will have to be his temporary area until I get something bigger. I just want to make sure it's not "dangerously" small. Thanks!

Loritort

Sometimes we do the best we can with what we have to work with. My buddy has a very similar living arrangement and is doing well. I am in the process of making some changes as the cooler weather arrives. Cute russian:tort::<3:

Molly J

New Jersey
Thank you Loritort! :) I'm really trying to make him live a happy life! Definitely plan to go bigger for him. And Eduardo, it's approx 1.5' x 2.5'. I've also been putting him outdoors every day in an enclosure that's a bit bigger. That one is 2' x 3'. I definitely plan to make a bigger area outside next spring as well. Our warm season here will be over soon.

Molly J

New Jersey
I'm afraid it is too small.
Have a look at this reply to a similar problem from earlier today.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/this-tortoise-enclosure-advice.160132/#post-1517366
New
Any suggestions of what I could do to give him a bigger area? Easiest/cheapest ideas? This happened so fast, I adopted this turtle so I wasn't prepared at all. I threw his habitat together pretty quickly and I've been trying to research ever since. I've only had him 3 days.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Some people use bookcases placed on their sides, the shelves knocked and lined with pond liner, shower curtain or what have you, covered with plexiglass or similar to keep in the humidity. you can knock a couple together if you have the space.
Alternatively, some owners build a double decker enclosure, fit an upper level with a ramp with railings to stop the tortoise falling off.
Or you can build your own wooden enclosure from scratch if you have those sorts of skills.
You can also trawl yard sales, second hand shops, etc to see if an old piece of furniture can be found cheaply to convert.
Our enclosure section has lots of other great ideas.

Molly J

New Jersey
Some people use bookcases placed on their sides, the shelves knocked and lined with pond liner, shower curtain or what have you, covered with plexiglass or similar to keep in the humidity. you can knock a couple together if you have the space.
Alternatively, some owners build a double decker enclosure, fit an upper level with a ramp with railings to stop the tortoise falling off.
Or you can build your own wooden enclosure from scratch if you have those sorts of skills.
You can also trawl yard sales, second hand shops, etc to see if an old piece of furniture can be found cheaply to convert.
Our enclosure section has lots of other great ideas.
Thanks for the info!!! I will definitely go take a look. For the time being do you think he'll be ok? I just don't want it to be dangerous for him.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't think it will be actually dangerous in the short term if you get your temperatures and humidity, diet and as much other stuff done as per the care sheet as you can.
He will not be happy, he hasn't got the space he needs to move around and exercise and this is also needed to aid in their digestion.
In the short term, it is going to have to do, until you can get something better as quickly as possible, we'd hate to see you have to give up your tortoise or for it to become sick.
Good luck, there's always a solution and hopefully the folk on here can help you find one.

Loritort

Thank you Loritort! :) I'm really trying to make him live a happy life! Definitely plan to go bigger for him. And Eduardo, it's approx 1.5' x 2.5'. I've also been putting him outdoors every day in an enclosure that's a bit bigger. That one is 2' x 3'. I definitely plan to make a bigger area outside next spring as well. Our warm season here will be over soon.
You won't be able to "make" him have a happy life. Just do the best you can and things will work out accordingly:) Take care.

Loritort

I don't think it will be actually dangerous in the short term if you get your temperatures and humidity, diet and as much other stuff done as per the care sheet as you can.
He will not be happy, he hasn't got the space he needs to move around and exercise and this is also needed to aid in their digestion.
In the short term, it is going to have to do, until you can get something better as quickly as possible, we'd hate to see you have to give up your tortoise or for it to become sick.
Good luck, there's always a solution and hopefully the folk on here can help you find one.
I don't think she will have to give up her tortie Tidgy's Dad. That's a bit extreme.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I don't think she will have to give up her tortie Tidgy's Dad. That's a bit extreme.
I agree. Which is why I said we'd hate that to happen.
Some people get disillusioned and give up. we don't want that.
As i said, there's always a solution.

Loritort

I agree. Which is why I said we'd hate that to happen.
Some people get disillusioned and give up. we don't want that.
As i said, there's always a solution.
Ok. Thank you for clarifying:)
I believe she's doing all the right things. I hope you have a good weekend.

Alaskamike

South Florida
You can also get another tote , just like than one , put them side by side & cut a door from one side to the other.
Double the roaming area