Does my baby desert tortoise look healthy?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Nevada
He was in red calcium sand before and his shell got dyed red for a while but it wore off kinda. Now he is properly cared for living outside in his natural climate of Las Vegas Nevada. He has a water bowl and he always soaks in it but he always looks dry. He eats dandelions and grass as well as an occasional marigold

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 136

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I'm not experienced with the desert tort; but for young torts I would think more humidity would be better. A humid hide is often advised.

But stay tuned for input from the more experienced keepers.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I really don't know about a tortoise's shell, but I know a little about a horse's hoof. The outer layer of the hoof is covered by periople. Periople's (stratum externum's) functon is protection of the stratum medium (Hoof wall) from moisture loss as the wall is growing down from the coronary band. I wonder if each scute's outermost layer also contains periople. If so, the abrasive quality of the original substrate might has rubbed off this protective layer causing what you now see as a dry-looking shell. It wouldn't hurt to rub on a thin coating of Vita Shell. Rub it in thoroughly, then polish it off. Or you could even use mineral oil. But be sure to polish it all off so no dirt will stick to it.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Your CDT is fine. Quite often the soil in the desert is dehydrating, here in the valley we have a heavy clay soil that is also dehydrating. You want to watch for what the new growth looks like. I dont see any blisters or peeling of the layers so what you are seeing is on the surface of its shell. I would give a nice long warm soak and scrub its shell with an old soft toothbrush. I dont use any commercial topical shell treatments myself, as most of them have some sort of petroleum base. If you really want to shine it up I would recommend a tiny bit of coconut oil rubbed on and wiped off completely. Coconut has a very long life before turning rancid and it wont clog the pores of the shell like some petroleum products.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think all is beautiful....set up a sprinkler in the torts yard and turn it on a couple times a day ----he will eventually get into it and love it...:D

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
Thanks! Im sure in the middle of the desert our soil is dehidrating too! lol! He acts healthy I was just worried about his shell a little!
kanalomele said:
Your CDT is fine. Quite often the soil in the desert is dehydrating, here in the valley we have a heavy clay soil that is also dehydrating. You want to watch for what the new growth looks like. I dont see any blisters or peeling of the layers so what you are seeing is on the surface of its shell. I would give a nice long warm soak and scrub its shell with an old soft toothbrush. I dont use any commercial topical shell treatments myself, as most of them have some sort of petroleum base. If you really want to shine it up I would recommend a tiny bit of coconut oil rubbed on and wiped off completely. Coconut has a very long life before turning rancid and it wont clog the pores of the shell like some petroleum products.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks okay to me. He looks like a typical dusty tortoise that lives outside. You should see my sulcatas right now. They have several layers of dried mud caked on.

How does the shell look after a soak and a bit of wiping it off under running water?

Mojaverocco

5 Year Member
Southern Nevada
Tom said:
Looks okay to me. He looks like a typical dusty tortoise that lives outside. You should see my sulcatas right now. They have several layers of dried mud caked on.

How does the shell look after a soak and a bit of wiping it off under running water?

It looks like it should but with a little red on it :( because when i first got him, he was living in red calcium sand. But thats just way at the back on the little tiny scutes by his tail.

Status
Not open for further replies.