Does It Make Sense To Feed A Tortoise Chocolate?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I have read that torts can be fed bananas (as a treat). Howevever my beloved Greek tortoise would not eat any. Last night I was eating...chocolate. A tiny bit of it fell into my tort's enclosure so I left it to see my tort's reaction. Surprisingly enough it ate it! Furthermore it began to move around its enclosure as if looking for more!

I would like to know if such food is ok if given to a tort, and before giving my tort more of it I want to make sure 100% that it does not harm these adorable animals.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I know chocolate is toxic for some pets. It is definitely not a natural food for tortoises and I don't think it's very healthy (sugars, fats, e.g.), so I wouldn't feed it to mine...

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
caffeine is toxic to most animals, so no, don't give him more.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you for you replies everyone.

Tom, you said that chocolate is not acceptable food for torts. May I ask: why? And what applies on dogs does not necessarily have to apply on torts, does it?

I would be very frateful for an explanation to the above.

Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for you replies everyone.

Tom, you said that chocolate is not acceptable food for torts. May I ask: why? And what applies on dogs does not necessarily have to apply on torts, does it?

I would be very frateful for an explanation to the above.

Thank you.

Do a search for "why is chocolate toxic to animals". You'll get a better explanation than I can give.

Theobromine, caffeine, sugar, dairy... There is nothing in chocolate that is good for a tortoise. Every ingredient is bad.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Do a search for "why is chocolate toxic to animals". You'll get a better explanation than I can give.

Theobromine, caffeine, sugar, dairy... There is nothing in chocolate that is good for a tortoise. Every ingredient is bad.
Thank you.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You are welcome. Please feel free to send any chocolate that you were planning on feeding your tortoise to me. It will not go to waste. :)
I'd rather eat it myself! It is after all.....SWISS!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But Tom doesn't like the dark chocolate, that you should send to me for proper disposal.

HA! Says you! My latest addiction is those Dole banana slices covered in dark chocolate. Mmmmmmm... chocolate....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Chocolate is not really good for humans either, so don't be feeding Tom or Cowboy.:p:D However, a little of the dark chocolate isnt too bad for ya, so that can be shared in tiny amounts. Not for animals though. Chocolate should not be given to any animal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Chocolate is not really good for humans either, so don't be feeding Tom or Cowboy.:p:D

HEY!!! I don't recall asking for any help from you here. She can send us all the chocolate she wants!

Besides that, while it may not be the healthiest food to eat, its really good for my mental well being. (I'm just finishing up a bag of M&Ms while I type this...)