1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Does diet contribute to pyramiding.

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Anyfoot, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Huge in what regard? Overall health, or pyramiding?
    Anyfoot likes this.
  2. Anyfoot

Anyfoot Well-Known Member

Don't know the answer about genetics, but my guess is yes because I think homeana's keratin grows different to the redfooted species. I'm not seeing prominent growth rings with my homeana that we see with redfoot tortoises, not at 9 months old anyway.
    If we are comparing, Leo's, sullies, and redfoots for example I think they all grow the same.
  3. Big Charlie

Big Charlie Well-Known Member

This is a good point. I've seen many outdoor enclosures posted on the forum that look barren. Charlie has access to our entire yard which is kept watered. There are plenty of bushes to hide under with soil that never dries out. There is one that Charlie spends a lot of time under in the summer.

charlie 2016 8 15 002.jpg
  4. paludarium

paludarium Member 5 Year Member

I'd recommend this article to anyone who has an interest in diet and pyramiding:
    https://moh-it.pure.elsevier.com/en...nergy-x-ray-absorptiometry-for-use-in-evaluat

Both group 1 and group 3 were fed naturally growing vegetation, but group 1 was housed in an artificial setting and group 3 was maintained in an outside enclosure. However, pyramidal growth was highest in group 1, all tortoises had pyramiding; pyramiding was not evident in group 3, none of the tortoises had pyramiding. Group 2 was housed in an artificial setting and fed vegetables grown for human consumption, two of the ten tortoises in this group had pyramiding.