Does anyone have photographs of early onset pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, USA
Hello friends!
I was wondering if anyone had photographs of the beginning stages of pyramiding? While doing research and choosing a tortoise that would be best for our family, I've seen pictures of 6-9 month old Sulcatas some with shells that seem to be completely smooth and others that have deeper (darker)grooves between each scute. Both examples seem to be healthy. So I was wondering if we could build a timeline (so to speak) of photographs showing the beginning stages of pyramiding? It seems to me that this would be very helpful in recognizing a potential health issue for new tort owners before it gets worse. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
there are lots of them here on the forum.

Here's one that is of a year old sulcata:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=31759

This tortoise is 9 months old:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/attachment.php?aid=23573

There are quite a few. You can find them under the sulcata heading then look for either pyramiding in the subject line, or look for the paper clip indicating a picture attachment.

But you must realize that pyramiding, unless it is accompanied by Metabolic bone Disease, is really NOT a health issue. It is merely cosmetic.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Thank you Emysemys! The 9 month old in the link - this is the beginning stages? I'm surprised because that looks like a lot of the Sulcatas I've seen for sale. I realize that it may be purely cosmetic, but our pets are family members and we want them to look their best ;) I want my Sulcata to be a prime example of the species.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
Thank you Tom - I'm following your pyramiding posts and treating our new baby as you suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.