Does anyone have live bugs in enclosure?

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
I have a juvie Ornate Boxie that is indoors due to size (she is out all day on weekends). My question is: can I just put some live worms/bugs directly in her enclosure for her to eat rather than pulling her out and feeding her seperately? I think it would keep her occupied and I would know if she is eating enough....open to any and all suggestions!

Thanks so much!

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Many people do this. Red wigglers, nightcrawlers, pillbugs...these would all work.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Small amounts of coir or soil (nothing like mulch that's stab-y or little pebbles or sand or other things that can get stuck) should pass through fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have been infested with those large cockroaches. They're all over outside. Its terrible! In the morning when I go out to feed, I see several of them inside the baby box turtle tub. The babies actually chase those suckers down and eat them!!

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have red wigglers, canadian night crawlers, crickets, pill bugs and the ocasional beetle from super worms I have forgotten in the closet. All are turned loose in the baby pen. You want to have some fun, turn loose a dozen crickets with your baby and sit back and enjoy. June bugs and small craw fish are also a blast. You can also put snails and slugs in but those get a little gross if they don't eat them right away. Substrate does not bother them at all. Every time Ive seen one get a big mouth full of dirt, they spit it right out and get another angle on the bug that is not as dirty. they know what they are doing so don't worry, just enjoy.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Thanks! I assumed they would be okay but (dont laugh) I am always concerned about her injesting her substrate (I usually rinse the worms off before giving them to her). :p
LOL>>>. ooops, sorry I was not supposed to laugh. I used to wash the worms and put them in a different container. Now, I put it on a small red dish and their live foods are living in their tanks with them. Every now and then I will find a dried up worm that has escaped from the tank but the other bugs stay in the glass tanks. the babies n wooden crates get fed in a different tank.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's great to find bugs under the water dish indoors in the middle of winter.

I find that coir alone isn't rich enough to support bug life for long. A pile of dead leaves helps, and as it breaks down it enriches the substrate.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
I have been infested with those large cockroaches. They're all over outside. Its terrible! In the morning when I go out to feed, I see several of them inside the baby box turtle tub. The babies actually chase those suckers down and eat them!!

747117wei24kafiu.gif
Oh gosh Yvonne I had the same thing happen! Here in Texas we FINALLY got some rain and every cockroach in town showed up-I went to dump out Mildred's water bowl and underneath were about half a dozen! she ate them as well. Thankfully my tiny Chihuahua is a roach hunter-if I scream "Roach!" she swoops in and grabs them..unfortunatley for us she has hidden them under our pillows to "save them for later" :confused:

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
LOL>>>. ooops, sorry I was not supposed to laugh. I used to wash the worms and put them in a different container. Now, I put it on a small red dish and their live foods are living in their tanks with them. Every now and then I will find a dried up worm that has escaped from the tank but the other bugs stay in the glass tanks. the babies n wooden crates get fed in a different tank.

its okay...everyone laughs. My husband finds the fact I apologize to the worms first MUCH funnier! :(

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
its okay...everyone laughs. My husband finds the fact I apologize to the worms first MUCH funnier! :(
Yeah, I would too. Look at it this way. If you just dump a container of worms in with the turtle and let it hunt, you will never know.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I also rinsed the worms off and apologize to them before giving them to my Boxturtle :) there was a comment that somebody feeds their turtles that are in a wooden crate in a different container. Does that mean you should not put bugs in a wooden toward table? I was thinking about putting pill bugs in my Russian wouldn't tour table in the winter. Should I not do this?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
there was a comment that somebody feeds their turtles that are in a wooden crate in a different container. Does that mean you should not put bugs in a wooden toward table? I was thinking about putting pill bugs in my Russian wouldn't tour table in the winter. Should I not do this?

By all means, place the pill bugs and worms right on into the enclosure....all good for hunting and such.

five_star_reptiles

My adults have a few dubia loose in their enclosure. A pregnant one hid from them long enough to have babies. When they find one, they'll spend ALL day digging for more. They'll be getting pillbugs as well, but want to get a good sized colony going so I can feed them to the babies when they hatch too. And there's springtails in there which are great for eating the leftover veggies, I never have to pull them out because they're gone by the next morning.