Does anyone agree with the tortoise yard enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyle42leopards

5 Year Member
on tortoiseyard.com
Do you think their enclosures and style of attaining micro-climates and raising humidity in baby leopard tortoise care is good? Because I plan on setting up an enclosure very similar to the ones they post on their site. The reason I ask is because the baby leos for sale on the site still look like they have the typical pyramiding seen in hatchlings when they dont have a sufficient amount of humidity. You can find the picture of the enclosure when you go to the care sheet for baby leos on the site.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you're talking about the pictures on this page:

http://tortoiseyard.com/leopard_tortoise_hatchling_care.htm

Those babies aren't old enough yet to start pyramiding. They look real nice and smooth. Vicky has been raising leopards for quite a while. She does a pretty good job of it. If you can take some time to look through her site and look at her tortoise sheds and tables I think you'll be impressed.

The plastic tub she shows in the link above is a great habitat for baby leopards.

kyle42leopards

5 Year Member
I agree I think she does a great job. Although iam pretty sure that tortoises can pyramid fairly early. remember the link that you gave me on richard fife ? well here is the part that proves they can pyramid quite early in life.

She set up two groups of new hatching red-foot tortoises for her experiment. The first group was set up in a plastic shoebox with dry paper towels (low humidity). The second group was set up in a plastic shoebox with moist paper towels (high humidity). The two groups were kept side by side and fed identically.

Within a few months the difference was astounding. The tortoises in the dry set up had the typical pyramiding we see in captive hatched tortoises. The second group had no pyramiding whatsoever and looked identical to wild caught tortoises. We began to try increasing the humidity on several other species of tortoises with the same positive results.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is the first time I've seen that site. I just glanced at it quickly, but so far I really like it. Seems like she's had no problems keeping hers pretty humid too. I can only surmise that it depends on the climate in your area.

I've never tried the multiple-micro-climate thing, but I don't see any harm in it. I'd be afraid they'd spend too much time in the wrong area for some other reason like, security or temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.