Do you think my cats will be a danger to my tortoise?

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I’m babysitting my daughter’s two very large dogs for a couple of days who absolutely can’t be trusted with my tortoise.

I have a 5ft high wrought iron fence that I always put up temporarily to keep the dogs separated from the tortoise while they are here, but I just got out of the hospital today and I just don’t have the strength right now to put up the fence.

Since it has been cold and the tortoise isn’t moving much anyway I thought I would bring him into the house in a large Tupperware container while the dogs are here. I don’t have anything to cover the container and I’m not feeling well enough to go to the store at the moment. I could put the tortoise in the garage, but its dark out there with no windows and I don’t know how that will affect him.

Tortoisetakingastroll10-30-14_1_zpsd281040a.jpg

CatsNewtoy_1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't get bored. As long as it is warm enough in the garage, being contained in a box for a while, even a couple days, won't be harmful to him.

That's a beautiful desert tortoise.

You have 'cats' in the title, and a picture of cats, however, you've mentioned that you're babysitting dogs. The dogs are a problem for that tortoise, however, that cats are not.

M

Maggie Cummings

Can't you hook a clamp light on the side of the tub and put it in a room the dogs can't get into? Keep the tort warm, that's all he cares about and make sure the dogs can't get him.
You could cover the top with aluminum foil, that will help hold the heat in.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
You have 'cats' in the title, and a picture of cats, however, you've mentioned that you're babysitting dogs. The dogs are a problem for that tortoise, however, that cats are not.
Oh the cats are indoor cats only and the dogs are outside dogs only so the dogs will never have the chance to be anywhere near the tortoise if he is inside. And the tortoise can not be outside without the fence. I just wasn't sure if the cats would scratch at him

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
The tortoise should be fine at his size with the cats. Usually the swipe a cat will do, if it does any, will be without the claws out.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Young cats will pester your tortoise. I have a 4 month old terror that likes to take the turtles out of their habitat and bats them around

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/meet-henrietta.113965/#post-1061144
:eek: wow now that would worry me. One of the the cats is really aggressive although he might be afraid of the tortoise this size.

Anyway my neighbor said she has an old oven rack that I could put over the box so I probably will not have to worry about the cats. I'm now wondering if I should put something in the box?
When I first got the tortoise I kept him in a box inside with rabbit pellets, but I don't think that's necessary at this point just for a few days. This him the first day I got him
IMG_0769.jpg