Do you still leave out cuttlebone for tortoises when they're outside full time?

packfan13

Just wondering that if when my guy gets big and is outside full time if I still leave cuttlebone out in the yard for him? Also how quickly do people usually go through cuttlebones? Thanks.

Supposed to say full time, guess I got cut off, or I forgot, either one.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Maybe not full time, but I do leave cuttle bone out in the yard for him. As he has gotten older he seems less interested in eating it. Might just be a phase.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. In the dog house so they don't get rained on.
They usually get fouled by poo before they get eaten and right now, nobody eats them at all anyway.
Then all of a sudden, they will....

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I leave several around the yard...and I don't touch 'em at all! Either the torts work at 'em or the yard becomes calcified! :p

Robertchrisroph

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Ukiah Ca.
Yes. My king eats them when he wants. Usually about 3 times a week. They are all different I figure on this. some will some won't king eats a couple a month.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I do two things for calcium in my big kids yard, neither of which involve cuttlefish bones. I use organic limestone flour. First in early spring I broadcast it around the yard and the grazing tortoises consume it while grazing. This then goes into the soil to be taken up by the graze itself raising the calcium content of the graze. Then I also just leave a large pile of the four dumped in the yard for them to eat on when they've got a hankering. This pile gets rained on and sun baked into a mound of calcium that occasionally is munched on, though not very often.