Do you own a large russian to show and tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Dallas Oregon
When I bought Irie I thought she was a large russian tortiose. I have since measured her and found her to be only 6”L x 5”W scl. That’s hardly a large Russian tortoise. Will everyone with LARGE Russians tortoises please show and tell. Thank you, Jack

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I am going to venture a guess that someone will come along who has a female around 10 inches. :) My little guy (girl?) is just over 4 now!

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
My Russian is 8 3/4 inches straightline. I would post a new pic of her but......She burrowed herself somewhere in the backyard. I met someone at the CTTC Foothill Chapter claiming she had a 12inch Russian!

travisgn

5 Year Member
There's a russian on craigslist right now, I've emailed the seller back and forth a couple times. He claims she is 9", but I don't know how accurately she was measured. If I see and/or buy her, I'll confirm or disconfirm.

My girl is only 6.5".

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
At what age does a Russian stop growing? (why don't I know this? ha)

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
ChiKat said:
At what age does a Russian stop growing? (why don't I know this? ha)

I don't believe tortioses (or reptiles in general) ever STOP growing, they just slow way down when they get older.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
What!? 20-30 inches? I've always read 8-10 inches. Oscar is 6 1/2.

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
finleafeater said:
I think ive heard that they are full sized around 15? but that could be total bs.

http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Turtles, Russian Tortoise.htm
this site says 20-30?

They are grown up when they are big enough to reproduce. Unless an expert says differently all chelonians and reptiles grow until they die. After a certain age (?) growth will be really slow (thats why you don't have 80 yr old 20" 15lbs russians) but you can have a really old 11" russian.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
dolfanjack said:
When I bought Irie I thought she was a large russian tortiose. I have since measured her and found her to be only 6”L x 5”W scl. That’s hardly a large Russian tortoise. Will everyone with LARGE Russians tortoises please show and tell. Thank you, Jack

Here is a shot of two of my russians.The male is on top.She is a little over 6 inches and i have another female that is over 7.

Attachments

• P1030064(1).JPG
    P1030064(1).JPG
    130 KB · Views: 51

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
Where is Yvonnes Big Bertha?

I haven't been able to find my Russians for a couple of weeks. Don't know if they've decided to hibernate early or if they're estivating. I cut down a couple of wax-leaf privets that offered quite a bit of shade to their pen, and now they're pretty much in the sun, so they might be estivating. I think she's 6 or 7 inches. Or was that Fat Betty?

This is from a couple years ago. The paper is graph paper with 1" squares. I've marked off the inches in black marker. If you assume that the front of her carapace is at the 11" mark, then Big Bertha is 7" SCL.

RussianBigBertha-2.jpg

Big Bertha is the one in front, and Fat Betty is the one behind. So Fat Betty is slightly smaller.

FatBettyBigBertha.jpg

If this thread is still active when my girls emerge, I'll take some current pictures, better pictures.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Trevor is just over 4 inches at two years old. His tail just really started growing so we're more hopeful that he's a male now than we were a couple months ago (Danny guessed female awhile back and my vet guessed male awhile back). He got him when he was four months old.

ForPhilbert

5 Year Member
Naples, FL
Hello, I got my first Russian tortoise only two weeks ago from a local pet store. They were unable to tell me the age of Philbert. I was wondering how I would be able to do so.
Thanks!!
Molly from SW Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.