Do tortoises need attention?

Sadie Goldman

My hatchling sulcata has a nice sized enclosure and has everything she needs to live and grow healthy. However, I don't take her out often (besides for soaking) because my dog gets jealous and will get too close if he's in the room, so I lock him out but then he screams at the door. Does she need attention to be happy? She scratches at the walls of her cage even though she can't see through it. Would she do better if I got more hatchlings for her to be around? Thank you

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
They don't need attention. They need to be taken care of, fed, etc. My tortoises take notice when I walk into the room and come towards me. They are not craving attention, they just hope I have food. Your dog, however, wants to your attention!.....lol

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Tortoises are solitary territorial and do not want company/competition. Spending time with your tortoise will help it get used to you. I never take mine out of the enclosure, but I do spend a lot of time rubbing their heads and shells and talking to them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. He doesn't want attention. Most tortoises dig at the corners. Doesn't mean he wants out or attention. In the real world they dig to bury themselves. Maybe your substrate isn't deep enough. Maybe he doesn't like where you have his hiding place located.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To answer your question: No. Tortoises do not need attention other than caring for their basic needs.

I think what you are asking is do they need affection or companionship. No. They do not.

And I think your dog need to learn some manners, and you need to stop letting your dog dictate what happens in your house. This is not good for you or your dog.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
At some point, you will have to provide a secure outside enclosure for your tortoise, safe from your dog. Dogs can hurt or kill tortoises. Even though my dog never bothered my tortoise, looking back on it now, I wonder if my tortoise was uncomfortable having him around. Since my dog died, my tortoise seems much more sociable. I enjoy spending time with him. He is fine without me as long as he has food, warmth and shelter, but it is gratifying to have him come when I call.

If you want to spend time with your tortoise, lock your dog in another room, away from the door of your tortoise room.