Do Sulcatas need underground accommodations?

Kadels

5 Year Member
I have a 3-y-o Sulcata and live in Dallas, TX. I am having an outdoor habitat build for him in my little back yard. I have the specs for Tom's night box, which is awesome. But I can't find anything about underground accommodations. Do they need them? If so, can someone please point me to some ideas?

I'm also trying to figure out whether some sort of "water feature" would be a good idea to help with hydrating/soaking. Any thoughts there? I have a sprinkler system - I'm thinking more of a mini pool/pond-type thing. Thanks much!

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
They don't need a burrow, but they do love their burrows. With a heated box for winter and a shaded pool for summer, they will be good.
Something large like three feet across and shallow 2- 6 inches deep, easy to exit, that is what I would be looking for in a pool.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They don't "need" a burrow necessarily, but they do need a cooler place to go on hot summer days. An underground burrow or shelter is the best and easiest way to accomplish this. I let mine live in their self-dug burrow all summer long and then make them use their heated night box in winter.

Here are two examples:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/daisys-new-enclosure.28662/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/

I vote yes on the water feature. A small shallow pond would be great for them.

Kadels

5 Year Member
LOVE these responses - thank you! With the pool - isn't my tortoise going to poop in it? As he gets bigger, any suggestions how to deal with that? Just use a hose to flood it out (because I won't be able to lift)? What about stench and mosquitoes (I already have too many of those - mosquitoes, not stench)?

mushmouth26

5 Year Member
Texas
Hey @Tom I built your 4x8 heated night box last fall and its been great the tortoises stopped digging burrows and use the shelter exclusively. My question is, have you had any over heating in yours with direct sun light in the summer. I of course turn off all the heat for the summer but mine is still getting pretty warm in the direct sun light. Hitting 95 degrees during the day inside. Not sure what the issue is. I did put an 8 inch ventation fan to draw air thru it but ambient temp still warm. The torts dont seem to mind. I also took the outter wood layer off and added radiant barrier. Seems like I would see a temp drop but havent really.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As far as water features go,If I had to do them all over again, I would have incorporated a drain into my tortoise pools to help in the cleaning. Some folks use a broom to whisk the water out and then refill. I have to bucket bail and bucket or hose fill.
I also have a solar powered air pump keeping the water moving in them. It does not do much. A waste of money.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LOVE these responses - thank you! With the pool - isn't my tortoise going to poop in it? As he gets bigger, any suggestions how to deal with that? Just use a hose to flood it out (because I won't be able to lift)? What about stench and mosquitoes (I already have too many of those - mosquitoes, not stench)?

Get a stiff broom and broom out all the water and poop. Then use a hose to blast it out and refill. Even in warm weather mosquitos need 48 hours to do their thing. If you clean it out at least every 48 hours, you will never see a mosquito come out of there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey @Tom I built your 4x8 heated night box last fall and its been great the tortoises stopped digging burrows and use the shelter exclusively. My question is, have you had any over heating in yours with direct sun light in the summer. I of course turn off all the heat for the summer but mine is still getting pretty warm in the direct sun light. Hitting 95 degrees during the day inside. Not sure what the issue is. I did put an 8 inch ventation fan to draw air thru it but ambient temp still warm. The torts dont seem to mind. I also took the outter wood layer off and added radiant barrier. Seems like I would see a temp drop but havent really.

I used to use plastic Rubbermade sheds. The spot where my night boxes sit is in full sun from about 9am to 2pm. Those sheds used to heat up to 122 inside. The tortoises seemed to like it and when they were warm enough they would leave the shed and go find some shade. My insulated boxes don't climb above 95 even on a super hot day, so I don't worry about it at all. They have other areas to go to, and they have a 22' deep burrow to use all summer long when the weather is really hot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
None of my tortoises burrow. (thank goodness). Dudley, the 110lbs sulcata, sits under a bush during the day and retreats into his insulated shed at night.

Alaskamike

South Florida
It is an interesting discussion whether sulcata "need" a burrow. "Need" indicates a necessity, and as Tom said they need a cooler place to go in the heat of the day,and there are may ways to provide that. . Having said that, they do have an instinctive drive to dig (though obviously not all of them do). My "Tiny" is about 8 lbs now, and since summer is in full swing, spends most of his time in his burrow. He has abandoned the above ground box entirely.

From the way he looks when he comes out to graze, he's been digging in there. I'd love to see down there and know what he's done to the place but I didn't put a removable top on mine, so he really has his privacy LOL .

Here he was the other day when he came out
DIRTY.jpg

My theory is - if you provide the thermal regulation they seek, as well as a hiding place under something (like even a bush) they will utilize what they have. Even then, some will give in to instinct and dig a burrow. I made a burrow with a wood box and plywood lined tunnel down into it so my little guy could escape the heat of the day, and have a nice dark secure place to retreat. It has no floor so he could dig it deeper if he wants and settle into the dirt. Plus it will drain if water gets into it. I think if you provide a burrow they will use it rather than dig their own - but the jury is still out on that hahahaha ....

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I raised a large pallet atop some cinderblocks over abut three feet of newly placed loamy soil. Atop the pallet I put more dirt and grass. When I water down the area (every other day when I do the baby pool lined with granite pieces) I hose down the inside. Su spends the hot times going between the pool and the "bunker". At night she uses her tort house. In moderate temps she can also go onto her greenhouse for an extra 20 to 30 degrees for selective environments ( aside from heat when needed). While she gets a lot of full yard time when someone is around, I adore outside habitats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I raised a large pallet atop some cinderblocks over abut three feet of newly placed loamy soil. Atop the pallet I put more dirt and grass. When I water down the area (every other day when I do the baby pool lined with granite pieces) I hose down the inside. Su spends the hot times going between the pool and the "bunker". At night she uses her tort house. In moderate temps she can also go onto her greenhouse for an extra 20 to 30 degrees for selective environments ( aside from heat when needed). While she gets a lot of full yard time when someone is around, I adore outside habitats.

I wanna see pics of all that. Sounds cool!