Do infrared heat lamps disturb sleeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Infrared is a wave length of light, right? There is no light being emitted from a solid ceramic housing. Even if the heating element encased inside the ceramic lit up, the light could not penetrate the ceramic housing.

Is there a physicist in the house? Educate us please.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Infrared is a wave length of light, but not visible for most people. Infrared has different wavelengths as well...that's about as far as Astronomy 100 took me lol.

Balboa could give us a better explanation.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have been using these for heat in a number of applications for the last 12-18 months. They work great. They give off no visible light, work with thermostats, are energy efficient, and cost about half as much as CHE's. Only problem is they are out of stock a lot. So far, mine are all still going strong.

http://www.reptileuv.com/megaray-hp-60-watt-heat-projector.php

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The Mega-Ray looks good but only projects heat forward for basking, from what I read. The reason I lke the CHE is because I'm looking to heat most of the vivarium, and not just one spot for basking. So for keeping the temperature's up in my vivarium's, for my Ch"s or Box Turtles, I think the CHE works better.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
terryo said:
The Mega-Ray looks good but only projects heat forward for basking, from what I read. The reason I lke the CHE is because I'm looking to heat most of the vivarium, and not just one spot for basking. So for keeping the temperature's up in my vivarium's, for my Ch"s or Box Turtles, I think the CHE works better.

I had the same concern originally, but the truth is, the heat projector doesn't focus the heat on a small area like a spot light, it is more like a flood light that covers a large area. When they say it projects the heat "forward" it means toward the floor rather than in all directions including toward the ceiling. They really do heat a large area.

I have used CHE's for decades, and still have them in some of my outdoor enclosures. I like them a lot, and they really do seem to last forever. I have just found that the heat projectors work just as well in my indoor enclosures, and they use less electricity, and cost a lot less.

I really don't like the red and blue bulbs just because they look weird. I think that CHE's and heat projectors are better options. That's just my opinion though.

Status
Not open for further replies.