do I need underground wire mesh for Eastern Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
hi I was wondering if I would need wire mesh underground for Eastern Box Turtle so that they cant escape? how deep can they dig?
thanks for the input
Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, you will need something to keep them from digging out. How deep you should put it, I don't know. Someone else will have to answer that.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have never had any of mine even try to escape by digging out, nor tortoises. I would say there is no need, if your talking about having the wire underneath the entire enclosure. I do however dig my wire used for walls down about 6-8". That way I never have to worry about uneven ground levels. Just be sure they can't climb out (have a nice lip around the enclosure).

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Ok. If i would use lattice fencing,would that be ok?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
I use a mesh on the bottom of all my outside enclosures...no downside and some tortoises and box turtles will dig out, otherwise..my daughter's male and one of her female Ornate box turtles are dedicated diggers, the other two rarely, if ever, seem to bother.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Terry how deep did u put the mesh? Is 8 inches enough

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It mainly depends on how soft your soil is. If its easily dug through I would put some form of barrier but if it has any durability to it it's not necessary. I've never had one and I've raised box turtles for decades. As long as your wall is really flush to the ground you should be fine.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Im in south florida,so its very sandy..so what do u think

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If you can shovel it rather easy with a hand spade then yes you need a barrier of some sort, rocks, wire, wood. If its hard for you to shovel then a flush wall is fine. I use fence boards to line the ground around my enclosures and have never had issues.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I don't have wire underneath my pens. Box turtles may indeed dig down to cover themselves, but they don't tunnel. Digging can be discouraged by providing loose litter to dig in (mulch, leaves etc...)I have found that if they sit in mud for any length of time, it tends to stain and darken their shells, which I don't like. They're much more likely to attempt climbing rather than digging as a means to escape. My pen simply sits on 2x6's set right on the ground. They will exploit any gaps they can see, though.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
This thread was EXTREMELY helpful! I'm constructing my outdoor enclosure right now too! Our soil type is clay, very very hard. I was out in the 100 degree weather this past weekend with a pick axe digging a 4-6 inch trench all around where the enclosure is going to be. Needless to say, back breaking labor, but I do not want to worry about her escaping! I filled it with rock/gravel and filled it back in. I'm glad to hear this should be sufficient. Ill be filling the enclosure with a mix of softer organic material.

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
1 Boxie
1 Betta fish

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
I have 8 box turtles and never had one try to dig out. Plus, I leave mine outside to brumate in the winter and they like to dig in for that

Status
Not open for further replies.