Do I need to soak my adult Russian tortoise?

momvetkat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I keep Mr T in a large outdoor enclosure with a large dogloo filled with hay (Where he hibernated the first year and spends the night). He has a burrow under the dogloo where he hibernated last winter. I have a large shallow water dish, but have never seen him in or around it. We feed a variety of greens - dandelion, turnip greens, chard, collards, occasional spring mix and carrots. I also grow a flat of "tortoise weeds" I got from TNT. He is an adult male and seems healthy but I haven't soaked him. Please let me know what to do - he doesn't like it when I place him in water. Also, my husband insists on finely cutting his greens while I believe it would be better to feed larger chunks (since he is a grazer) - can someone tell me the best way to feed?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The answer is a definite "maybe". If your enclosure is ideal in temperature and humidity year round, if you have an appropriate water source and you see him drinking from it regularly, and if you are 100% sure that is is drinking enough on his own all year long, then there is no need to soak. In reality, I don't know how it would be possible to judge all of those things unless you were somehow monitoring him all day long everyday. I don't have time to sit and watch one tortoise for 12 hours to see how much, if anything, he drinks on a day to day basis.

Soooooo, In my few, a soak once or twice a week goes along way to making sure my tortoises are hydrated and getting enough water. It also allows me to handle and inspect each and every tortoise to make sure all is good. Further, if your tortoise is well hydrated and drinking enough on his own, then soaking will do no harm.

To soak use a tall sided opaque tub that they can't see out of or reach the top. I use Walmart dish washing tubs. Try soaking with different water temperatures and at different times a day. Sometimes with a little change a tortoises that previously didn't care for soaking, will actually enjoy the soaks. Eventually they all desensitize anyway.

Happy torting!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am a believer in soaking. I use 92F to 94F water, and mine usually seem to enjoy it. I don't usually cut the food very small unless I am mixing in a new food or something good for them that they won't eat unless it is hidden. Biting off stuff help maintain the beak, and keeps it from getting overgrown.

Falcon70

10 Year Member!
North Carolina
I soak my adult Russian 1 or 2 times a week. She does have a shallow water bowl in her enclosure, but I still feel there are benefits to soaking. It's not so much about keeping their shells smooth like a hatchling, but making sure she is hydrated, her skin isn't dry, and it can also help them pass stools.

momvetkat

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks, I will start soaking him whether he likes it or not! I will also tell my husband about the beak issue - I know he thinks he's helping by mincing small, but it never feels right to me (I prefer to feed him myself but DH always jumps right in there...and I do appreciate the care he takes in bringing home a variety of organic greens).

momvetkat

5 Year Member
Southern California
One more question I forgot to ask - how long do you soak them? I used to soak by beardies for 10 -20 minutes, but they seemed to actually enjoy it (and they always ended up pooping right away so I would have to change the water!):(

Killerrookie

One more question I forgot to ask - how long do you soak them? I used to soak by beardies for 10 -20 minutes, but they seemed to actually enjoy it (and they always ended up pooping right away so I would have to change the water!):(
Soak them for 15-20 mins.