Do hatchlings need aestivation?

LEO037

I currently have three Paa, and wonder if should let them aestivate during the winter. Currently they are 31g, 23g and 21g and the environment is Temp 75-85 Humid 70%-80%. They are actively feeding but grow very slow. They are so tiny, I am little scared to let them aestivate. How is everybody else handle this? and what is the idea temperature and humidity level for aestivation?
Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, aestivation generally occurrs during the hot summer months, and spider tortoises don't hibernate/brumate, the winter time equivalent.

I don't keep spider tortoises, but with my other species that do brumate, I keep them awake during their first three winters.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, as I said above, spider tortoises DO NOT hibernate.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
You can try to not "let" them aestivate all you want, but they will probably sense the drier air of winter, and will likely slow down any way. Don't be scared of it. It is a natural occurrence with these guys. Mine started around the weights you mention, and with 5+ years of growth, they are at roughly 150, 195, 225 and 290 grams. And that is pretty fast growth! Takes a long time with these guys.

I've attached a file showing the details of their growth, so you can see what it looks like with the winter dormancy periods each year.

Attachments

• chart.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 27

LEO037

You can try to not "let" them aestivate all you want, but they will probably sense the drier air of winter, and will likely slow down any way. Don't be scared of it. It is a natural occurrence with these guys. Mine started around the weights you mention, and with 5+ years of growth, they are at roughly 150, 195, 225 and 290 grams. And that is pretty fast growth! Takes a long time with these guys.

I've attached a file showing the details of their growth, so you can see what it looks like with the winter dormancy periods each year.
thanks very much for your data. It seems like the first year they don't gain much weight. That's very interesting!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
thanks very much for your data. It seems like the first year they don't gain much weight. That's very interesting!
It does depend, though. Some folks do not let their rooms get as cold and dry as mine does over the winter, and their animals do not sleep quite as long as mine. I did try to keep my area warm for the arachnoides their first winter, but it didn't help. They knew anyway. I think it is more correlated with humidity than temps, anyway, like I said.

LEO037

It does depend, though. Some folks do not let their rooms get as cold and dry as mine does over the winter, and their animals do not sleep quite as long as mine. I did try to keep my area warm for the arachnoides their first winter, but it didn't help. They knew anyway. I think it is more correlated with humidity than temps, anyway, like I said.
I see. I maintain the humidity between 70-80 and temperature around 75-80. Not sure if they will notice the season change. Do you have a care sheet? I am interested to see how you maintain your spider tortoises. Thanks in advance

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I received four adult male P. planicauda a few years ago. They were kept as seasonal tortoises by the previous owner who had a system of putting them down each fall and bring them back up based on the local climate of warm/hot humid summer and cool moist winters. The trigger was not apparent to me.

The first winter I let the enclosure dry out, but I did not have a way to cool the enclosure. I did still have water available, but they were down in dry-ish soil coco chunk substrate. Once in awhile the water was soiled (actual soil, not feces). So I thought well maybe they are drinking, so maybe they would eat too. I would put a very small ration in. Once in awhile they would eat it, the water was still getting soiled, and then they actually pooped in the water. All very little compared to their peak activity.

That first spring none were coming up, even when I re-wetted the substrate. So I put them in full sun (shade available) in an inch of water. They slowly re-animated and like I flipped a switch they all were fully "on" again.

This winter (so far this fall) they are showing no sign of slowing down. The substrate has dried ( they have access to different substrates within the enclosure, some I never ad water to, and some are water logged) they are staying in the moist substrate of the main enclosure and eating a great deal.

I think if you offer a range of opportunity (substrates, hides etc) and keep water available and some small amount of food occasionally they will figure it out.

The best way to see what's going on is to monitor their weight. I do not know a tipping point. The adults I have did not loose weight at all over last winter. Having water to drink might be the way to make sure they don't loose weight. Remember as reptiles they don't metabolize calories just sitting doing nothing. If they keep active keep food available, if they otherwise do nothing you are probably okay.

LEO037

I received four adult male P. planicauda a few years ago. They were kept as seasonal tortoises by the previous owner who had a system of putting them down each fall and bring them back up based on the local climate of warm/hot humid summer and cool moist winters. The trigger was not apparent to me.

The first winter I let the enclosure dry out, but I did not have a way to cool the enclosure. I did still have water available, but they were down in dry-ish soil coco chunk substrate. Once in awhile the water was soiled (actual soil, not feces). So I thought well maybe they are drinking, so maybe they would eat too. I would put a very small ration in. Once in awhile they would eat it, the water was still getting soiled, and then they actually pooped in the water. All very little compared to their peak activity.

That first spring none were coming up, even when I re-wetted the substrate. So I put them in full sun (shade available) in an inch of water. They slowly re-animated and like I flipped a switch they all were fully "on" again.

This winter (so far this fall) they are showing no sign of slowing down. The substrate has dried ( they have access to different substrates within the enclosure, some I never ad water to, and some are water logged) they are staying in the moist substrate of the main enclosure and eating a great deal.

I think if you offer a range of opportunity (substrates, hides etc) and keep water available and some small amount of food occasionally they will figure it out.

The best way to see what's going on is to monitor their weight. I do not know a tipping point. The adults I have did not loose weight at all over last winter. Having water to drink might be the way to make sure they don't loose weight. Remember as reptiles they don't metabolize calories just sitting doing nothing. If they keep active keep food available, if they otherwise do nothing you are probably okay.
Thank you. Currently I have temperature between 81-73, humidity 70-85. They are very active in the morning and then go to sleep most of afternoon. I soak them everyday and provide food. They all interested in food but don't eat a lot. I also have a mister misting the enclosure before light goes out so the night time humidity is higher. I just don't know how important is the slow down period for hatchings. I guess maybe I will let the enclosure dry out a bit when outdoor temperature drops further. I live in the bay area so there's no real winter...