DIVA, OUR NEW ADDITION

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Did you give her that name? Or was she already a Diva ;)

Did you create that quarantine pen just for her or has that pen been part of your tortoise yard already?

How deep do your fence posts go to secure the fences?
Does she test her boundaries?

Ok, questions will stop there....for now ;)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Did you create that quarantine pen just for her or has that pen been part of your tortoise yard already?

~ We have a few special isolation areas, this one was built at the same time as our new barn. It is about 12 x 25 and i made a temporary shade area that was about 12 x 8. This particular one was designed very strong and especially for any mature/large aldabras.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
How deep do your fence posts go to secure the fences?

~ The outer chain link perimeter fencing consist of commercial grade line poles that are set six feet apart, ten foot long and about four foot buried in the ground with heavy concrete.

~ The inner wooded wall consist of 2 x 10 x10 PT planks with 4 x 4 PT poles that are buried as deep as i could dig. Every five foot also have 2 x 6 PT support poles that are also buried.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
was she born in captivity or taken from the wild?

~ She was originally imported many decades ago, I know that Wayne Hill had owned her back in the 90's and she was local in SW Florida since the early 2000's. She was with another mature female and two sub-adult males for the last decade. She has been an active egg layer, however no fertility.

~ Here is a picture of her about eight years ago. She has been on our radar for a long time!

IMG_3544.jpg

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I just keep scrolling through this thread and I cannot believe her shell, it's stunning. So glad you were able to get her!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I just keep scrolling through this thread and I cannot believe her shell, it's stunning. So glad you were able to get her!

:D

~ Thank you, she is a wonderful mature female aldabra. We are very pleased that we were able to negotiate with the previous owner and make her a permanent part or our breeding program!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
~ Dr. Mader just called, all test show she is very healthy.

~ She will be released tomorrow morning, 11-13-2014.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Fantastic. I was going to ask when the results came back; and if were all clear. What will be the plan of introduction. Especially since Aldabras are a social collective herd of species. Is there a routine or plan when introducing a new comer to the herd?