Did I just make a grave mistake?

Jmoney1002

Location (City and/or State)
Sebring, FL
I researched safe to eat plants and went to Home Depot to pick up sone plants. I planted a small quantity of a couple into my hatchlings enclosure and he got his munch on.

I then read about systemic pesticides usually used to treat plants sold in stores.

I have since removed the plants. He only had 1 'meal' consisting of these plants. Have I just made a huge mistake? Will this small amount be enough to kill or harm him?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most likely he will be fine.
Take the plants and wash as much dirt off them as possibly and then replant them in pesticide/fertilizer free organic soil. Wait for about three months thrn should be safe to feed the new plant growth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most likely he will be fine.
Take the plants and wash as much dirt off them as possibly and then replant them in pesticide/fertilizer free organic soil. Wait for about three months thrn should be safe to feed the new plant growth.

The systemic pesticides that these plants are grown with take 12 months to dissipate, and the toxins are assimilated into the plant's tissues, so washing the dirt off won't do anything.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I researched safe to eat plants and went to Home Depot to pick up sone plants. I planted a small quantity of a couple into my hatchlings enclosure and he got his munch on.

I then read about systemic pesticides usually used to treat plants sold in stores.

I have since removed the plants. He only had 1 'meal' consisting of these plants. Have I just made a huge mistake? Will this small amount be enough to kill or harm him?

Yes. You made a mistake. Only time will tell how much effect it will have on the tortoise. He might be fine.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Only time will tell!
The chances are he'll be okay, so we're all hoping he'll be fine.
Try soaking him more often and maybe feed cucumber or the like for a day or two (shouldn't usually be fed) to help try and flush his system out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The systemic pesticides that these plants are grown with take 12 months to dissipate, and the toxins are assimilated into the plant's tissues, so washing the dirt off won't do anything.
Washing the dirt off and replanting in clean dirt will wash away any of the pesticides, etc that is in the dirt so the plant doesn't keep obsorbing it. Many are time released. Then waiting to feed for a few months until new growth. Leaving the same dirt the plant came with sure isn't going to help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, after doing some more reading on pesticides, there is no way of knowing how long any plant will be safe to use without knowing what chemicals were used. Some are short term, 3, 6 months in the plant, longer in the soil. Some last upto 3 and 6 years. Buying strictly organic is the best of course, but be sure they are strictly organic and have not used chemicals in their growing media for many years before going organic.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well, after doing some more reading on pesticides, there is no way of knowing how long any plant will be safe to use without knowing what chemicals were used. Some are short term, 3, 6 months in the plant, longer in the soil. Some last upto 3 and 6 years. Buying strictly organic is the best of course, but be sure they are strictly organic and have not used chemicals in their growing media for many years before going organic.

@cdmay is a subject matter expert and professional in this field and I base my info off of his recommendations. I hope he'll comment here and share his expertise with us again.

Because of this uncertainty, I prefer to grow my own. My point in posting above was simply to point out that washing off the soil and waiting a few months might not be adequate, and might not be good advice.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The advantage of washing off the dirt and repotting or growing hydroponically is that no NEW chemicals that are also spread in the potting soil are drawn into the plant as it continues to grow.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi there and welcome! I think with one episode of ingesting plant that's grown on chemicals, you have a good chance of a happy ending. Just soak this baby couple times a day for the next few days, feed opuntia or aloe, or cucumber (just finely dice or grate them and mix into his salad). The goal now is to help his liver and kidneys process everything and get rid of the toxic waste quickly. And remember that SOAKING is single most effective way of hydration that you can do at home. I think little captive baby torts should be soaked daily in their first year. Mine are 26 months old and I still give them daily bath, just bcs they love it and we are all so used to that routine and we all enjoy it. Think positively and hydrate your little tort aggressively for the next few days while watching for any immediate signs of poisoning, anything out of ordinary in his behavior, appetite, his urine/stool and we will all hope and pray that the amount of a chemical ingested was very minute and not causing irreversible damage in his organs or/and long term untoward effects. One more thing, most of us here have done something stupid, or even bad out of ignorance. I know it's hard to NOT kick yourself over it, just "kick" gently, give yourself a break. Our mistakes are those most profound ways of teaching, making us people that we become in our mature versions. Mistakes are very valuable, as wisdom streams from them. Stick around here, learn from mistakes of others, share yours, we will all be better tort parents because of that so hey! Chin up, and take care! Keep us posted on how your tortie is doing:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@cdmay is a subject matter expert and professional in this field and I base my info off of his recommendations. I hope he'll comment here and share his expertise with us again.

Because of this uncertainty, I prefer to grow my own. My point in posting above was simply to point out that washing off the soil and waiting a few months might not be adequate, and might not be good advice.
I understand. But not washing the dirt off is bad advice. Getting what you can off so it can't continue will always help and be the better thing to do.
There is no one answer with the length of time without knowing what was used. In some of the stuff being used, even one year is no good.
I guess the best thing is to take cuttings from friends and family that has well established plants that has been grown chemical free, of an organic greenhouse.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Tom alerted me to your dilemma....
My advice is to err on the side of caution but also realize that USDA recommendations are typically highly exaggerated.
Try your best NEVER to expose your animals to ANYTHING from a commercial or Big Box store, but also realize that you yourself probably consume way more toxins every day than your animals....that you go out of your way to spoil...do.
When it comes to fertilizer or over the counter pesticides I allow either 3 months, or 6 inches of rain.