Did I feed her something wrong

newbie007

My newly found tortoise ' s poop is an olive greeny slime texture with pieces of what she ate...is something wrong? What should I do? What is healthy tortoise poop supposed to look like?

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
Kind regards
Newbie007

newbie007

pepsiandjac I have fed her lettuce, carrots(grated) and cucumber (grated) and kakui grass on her walks-I have stopped with the lettuce as I heard it is not very good for them. My tortoise is still very small

HLogic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I suggest staying away from any juicy vegetables like lettuce, carrots and cucumber (add pumpkin, tomato, etc.). It would be much better to feed it locally occurring grasses and weeds - low moisture & high fiber.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
HLogic's info is right on, except for the fact that your new tortoise is a baby, so it probably won't eat the dried grasses just yet. Of course, if it does eat the dried grass, then that's good. What was the reason given for you to not allow the tortoise to eat the kakui grass? In my opinion, since that's a native to your area grass, this would be something the baby would be eating in the wild. Try to figure out what plants and grasses in your area are edible, and allow the baby to eat those.