Desperately need opinions about sex and behavior

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My one rescue leopard was thought to be a female by previous owner. Of course she/he was too little and not cared for well to sex. I kept her name as Lillie and thought she was looking female. She is suppose to be 4 1/2 now.
To me, she looks female still. However, she acts like a male, mounting my female, butting my known male. However, I catch her once in a while, like today, also butting my female, tipping her over.
They all are seperated in their indoor pens. In the outdoor pens, I let my male and female be together most days, when he is leaving my female alone. Today, I tried all three together again. (They used to be able to be together)
All went well. The one in questioned, mounted the female and then followed around. They were fine, until I went to check on them again, and the one in question was trying to tip the female over. I don't need to be told they need to be seperated, I know that and they are most days. I only put them together when I can watch what's going on. Hoping to again be able to let them all roam together like they used too.

So, guess on the sex or what is going on would be helpful.

image.jpg image.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am not good at this game, but looks female to me. The tail is a bit long and pointed though. When you put them together, whose enclosure do you put them in? Maybe a neutral area would create less territorial behavior?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Only outside when they are together. It's a very large area with places to hide. At one time it was all of theirs. Big L shape with bushes, hides and fence openings to go through.
Her tail looks more like my females, big and fat, but longer like my males:confused:

Possibly still too young, but her actions really are throwing me:D

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Tail looks male, scutes are kind of strange, but female-ish.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I bet those scutes start to grow and putsch outwards, giving him the curled mustache look like many males.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I bet those scutes start to grow and putsch outwards, giving him the curled mustache look like many males.

Either that or she just has a long tail. LOL

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Either that or she just has a long tail. LOL
Your sounding more confused then me:p. She was very behind on growth when I got. Took her awhile to start growing and now she is almost caught up to my male, which the two should be close to same age. So it is very possible that the scutes will spread out. However my males tale is a lot thinner then this ones. This ones does look a lot like my females. Very difficult to figure out when looks and acts like both sexes. Oh and no concaving yet.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
If it were a Greek, I'd say male.
Don't really know Leopards, but i'll stick with male.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's a tough one. Take a picture showing the supracaudal scute.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sorry, I should have clarified. Take a plastron shot showing underneath the supracaudal scute.

Something like this:

Male11_zpsgdwdxgbu.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You're describing aggression. Does gender matter? It needs to be separate.
Yes gender does matter. Cuz I would like to know cuz she is acting like both sexes and looking like both. The aggression is towards both a male and a female. Yet she will mount the female and follow her like a male would. But then butt her rather then mount her the next time. As I stated they are seperated and only together when I am free to supervise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I should have clarified. Take a plastron shot showing underneath the supracaudal scute.

Something like this:

Male11_zpsgdwdxgbu.jpg
Sorry Neal, my second pic is that, or do you mean with her laying more flat so you can kinda see between the shells more?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You can't quite see the supracaudal (the rear most scute) in the second picture.

This tells you a lot more than the anal scutes or the tail for odd tortoises like this. If the tip curves inward = male, if it extends outward sort of like forming a V = female.