DESPERATE Help With Snapping Turtle

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
I am talking to a friend who needs immediate help....I'm relaying all of the info second hand, so please bare with me if I can't answer questions properly.

He recently received 4 alligator snapping turtle hatchlings, and had one already. He just found two of them turned white, and are not active.

He's wondering if it sounds like they're sick, or already deceased.

If they're still alive, what steps should he take to help them?

He's supposed to send me photos, if that helps.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would immediately remove the two turtles and set them up in their own space....hard to say anything much more without pics....I sure hope they turn out ok...

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'm just waiting on more info and pictures. I'm sure that he separated the two that have changed colour. :( I just feel bad, and there's nothing I can really do to help.

Okay....a picture of one of the sick ones:

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
What did he "save" them from?

These aren't Alligator Snapping Turtles (Macrochelys temminckii). That photo is of a Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina). Having the proper ID will help him provide the best care.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Sorry....that was my mistake. He didn't "save" them. He adopted 5, and 2 are now sick.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a common snapper . If he is sick I would keep the water at 70 degrees . Give him a good basking spot . If he is not eating try live foods like worms or try feeding something red in color. Don't know why for sure but every turtle / frog / lizard I've had will always try to eat something red . Hope everything turns out for these little ones .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no way for us to tell by what you've said or by looking at the picture, but my guess is that it has turned "white" because it is dead.

sunshine_hugs

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I'm waiting on more info, but haven't talked to my friend all day. I'll pass along what you guys have said, and I'll post any new info when I get it.

I appreciate the help!