Desert Turtle in Pacific Northwest - should I hibernate them?

Terradith

Hi! I recently took on a desert tortoise that was originally sold as a box turtle (we're positive this is not what it is). I live in Washington and I'm assuming it's too cold to house it outside, as the winter months get well into the low 30's. It was in a 40 gallon glass aquarium with the heat lamp running 24/7, and no water to climb into and no shelter. I've thus far transferred it to a large rubbermaid tub, but the largest one I could find is still only about 32"x18", not large enough for a long term home. (I've also been bringing it outside with me for several hours every day that the sun is out and it's above 70) I'm doing my best to get the right lighting and heating in place temporarily, however I don't want to buy all new equipment once I get it something more permanent.

My largest concern right now is how to regulate the temperature and if it should be hibernating soon.Should I be trying to get it to hibernate even though it'll mostly be indoors? The information I'm reading online about this seems very ambiguous. I've read to put it the garage but that means it'll be below 50 degrees some days, maybe even 40. I could put it in a closet, but then I'm afraid it won't be cold enough, as the house will sometimes get heated to 70.

Any help would be appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It is not recommended to hibernate a tortoise until you have owned it for a year. Recently getting it, you don't really know if it's healthy enough to make it through. The way you say it was kept before you, it's probably needs some tlc before it should be hibernated anyway.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Welcome! Best place for learning.

I agree. No hibernation. Best to keep this little one up to observe and to build up strength. Sounds like it's a youngster. If it was confused for a box turtle, size wise. Share pics when you can. More folks will chime in. Glad you are here, researching on his behalf. Yay!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can you add some pictures? So we can id him 100% .

Terradith

Sure thing! His shell alone is about 8" I believe. I'd go check but we already had out outdoor time today, which it usually likes some alone time afterwards. 20160927_140419 (1).jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Looks like possibly a Russian to me

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
How would I tell the difference? It's very light in color, but it also wasn't in great conditions so I'm not sure if it COULD look very different than it does now.
Can you also post a picture of the plastron (bottom of the shell)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a Russian tortoise. He's full grown. I wouldn't allow him to hibernate until next year. Buy another tub exactly like the one you have there and cut out opposing ends, placing them together. This gives you a tub an ok size for the winter.

Terradith

That's a Russian tortoise. He's full grown. I wouldn't allow him to hibernate until next year. Buy another tub exactly like the one you have there and cut out opposing ends, placing them together. This gives you a tub an ok size for the winter.
Sweet, I was thinking of trying that!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Check out the Russian tortoise care sheet in the species specific section. Indoors your tortoise will not need night heat

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh thank goodness! That was one of my biggest concerns.
Yes, it definitely makes it easier. Unless your house gets below 60 at night your tortoise should be fine. Keep the lids to the bins you are using, you can cut holes big enough for the lights to show through and that will keep the heat in. They need about 50% humidity. But that's not very hard to do if you keep it covered. Check out the different sections, Russian tortoise, enclosures, diet etc. and you will get all the information you need. Oh, they don't need light at night either in case you were wondering about that.

Terradith

Yes, it definitely makes it easier. Unless your house gets below 60 at night your tortoise should be fine. Keep the lids to the bins you are using, you can cut holes big enough for the lights to show through and that will keep the heat in. They need about 50% humidity. But that's not very hard to do if you keep it covered. Check out the different sections, Russian tortoise, enclosures, diet etc. and you will get all the information you need. Oh, they don't need light at night either in case you were wondering about that.
Thank you! Unfortunately the house does sometimes creep into the high 50's at night. But as of now I've been leaving a small ceramic heater in the room it's in and setting it to 65 so that it doesn't go below that.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Even the 50s aren't too bad. I leave my Russian outdoors until the nighttime temps get below 55.