Desert Tortoises keep dying - help!

RaeRach

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello! I need some help ASAP! I have/had 5 California desert tortoises ranging from 13-15 yrs old. since coming out of hibernation this year I have had 2 die on me. I just attributed it to them being the smallest ones of the pack, but now I have two more acting funny. Not wanting to eat, more tired, etc. I have been to the vet 3 times now for 3 different tortoises. My most recent one that passed away 3 weeks ago, the vet didn't think I'd get answers out of testing my tortoises and said that they take a long time to get sick and a long time to get better. And that by the time they act sick it is often too late! Now, I sit here with one of my remaining 3 who I know will not make it through the night. She stopped eating about 3 days ago, and scoots her way around. She was my most feisty tortoise so I knew something was wrong. The vet today said it was probably too late and that with no runny nose (to treat with antibiotics) it might be something toxic inside her (whatever that means). I am so sad and confused as I have had my tortoises for 15 yrs and don't want them all dying on me now.

Have you heard of an illness that sweeps through a group of tortoises like this? After this one passes I will have my 2 biggest ones left, and one of them isn't herself either. Any suggestions would be awesome!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is affecting them all to one degree or another you have got to look for a common link/thread. As of now any illness can wipe out a group, but it could be something they ate or got a hold of. I don't suppose any sort of necropsy was done? With that many being affected I would had at least 1 done. It is true they take awhile for an illness to show, but that should not stop the vet from at leas trying. Are they housed indoor or out door? Together or separate?

Last edited:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Sad to hear this. While trying to figure out what's going on I would get them out and away from their habitat asap, separate all three and set them up each in their own hospital bin. Wash hands before/after handling each. Good luck, hope you find the culprit and the rest makes it.

Last edited:

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm so sorry! I would definitely have the vet do blood work on any of the remaining tortoises. Then an appropriate antibiotic (or other med) can be prescribed. Have you looked inside their mouths? Are they pale? Do they have any other symptoms? I don't know what you're doing for the remaining torts, but I would suggest keeping them extra warm and well hydrated in the meantime. If they aren't eating you can syringe feed baby food squash. Good luck and let us know how they are doing.

RaeRach

California
If it is a ffecting them all to one degree or another you have got to look for a common link/thread. As if now any illness can wipe out a group, but it could be something they ate or got a hold of. I don't suppose any sort of necropsy was done? With that many being affected I would had at least 1 done. It is true they take awhile for an illness to show, but that should not stop the vet from at leas trying. Are they housed indoor or out door? Together or separate?

No autopsy was done. I live in Southern California and they have been outside for the past 7 years now. All housed together. Annie, who passed away 3 weeks ago, was my smallest even at 15 yrs old. When she came out of hibernation her once beautiful shell looked very dis colored and not right. My little guy who was the first to pass probably never should have lived this long as we had to syringe feed her cause her shell was so soft as a baby.

I'm afraid to keep going to the vet and not getting answers, but I don't want my kids to have to bury another tortoise :-(

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I know it is frustrating, and emotionally draining to go t to the vet and do nothing, but the vet should have at least drawn blood.

RaeRach

California
I can take my other one back on Monday to draw blood. What would they see in blood work? What are they looking for? He said they could X-ray them but if it were kidney problems or pneumonia it would be too late to help them.

My other one who is acting funny didn't want to eat starting 2 weeks ago. Took her in then and just kept soaking her and hand feeding her. She would only eat maybe 5 bites of zucchini and a bite here or there of watermelon. She is still walking around but not like she usually is.

RaeRach

California
I'm so sorry! I would definitely have the vet do blood work on any of the remaining tortoises. Then an appropriate antibiotic (or other med) can be prescribed. Have you looked inside their mouths? Are they pale? Do they have any other symptoms? I don't know what you're doing for the remaining torts, but I would suggest keeping them extra warm and well hydrated in the meantime. If they aren't eating you can syringe feed baby food squash. Good luck and let us know how they are doing.
Thanks! I soak them everyday. And will separate them and call the vet on Monday about blood work. What should they be looking for in the blood work?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
pneumonia can be treated quite easily, if that is what's wrong, this vet is not thinking right. I don't know what to look for because I don't know what is wrong, right now it its a guessing game., for now If they are drinking I would do baby food soaks, get some nutrition in them. Are they pooping?

RaeRach

California
pneumonia can be treated quite easily, if that is what's wrong, this vet is not thinking right. I don't know what to look for because I don't know what is wrong, right now it its a guessing game., for now If they are drinking I would do baby food soaks, get some nutrition in them. Are they pooping?
My other two bigger ones are pooping. Though the one who is acting funny isn't pooping quite like it use to :)

Baby food soaks? Is that different than syringe feeding?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
you mix baby food in water so the tortoise drinks it and the baby food, syringe feeding will work also. Whatever is wrong strength needs to be kept up until they start eating.

RaeRach

California
Thank you for all your suggestions, and keep them coming please. I didn't not add any tortoises. I got my original 2 15 yrs ago and got 2 of their cousins 13 years ago. There are wild raccoons that come in our backyard to eat our fruit trees, but my tortoises have never been bothered by them. There are also a ton of wild lizards in my backyard. I'm going to separate my remaining two today :-(

This is 'witch' who passed last night. Should i put her in the fridge if I want to have an autopsy done?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wrap her in a plastic bag containing a moist paper towel and refrigerate, but do not freeze.

Zhao Xiang guo

He maybe had a cold because my Sister's friend's tortoises died because they had a cold andere the totoises doesn't dat and doesn't move andere srry fort my bad english

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Just my opinion, quarantine all of them ASAP! This is one of the main reason why they cannot go back into the wild. if one sick and has ever set foot in the wild it can wipe out an entire colony. As you can see, just by one getting sick it can easily effect the others.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where in Southern California do you live? I live in the high desert and there is a good vet here in Apple Valley. I would not take the torts back to that vet you are dealing with...apparently they do not know what they are doing.....may we see a pic of the remaining torts?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Did any neighbor spray pesticide or toss fertilizer that could have gotten in your tortoise enclosure.
Or spray for bugs, ants??
I am so sorry this is happening to your tortoises.
I agree 100% to separate them immediately and treat each one as if they are infected and highly contagious.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I am so sorry for your loss. Are your tortoises protected against the racoons? I had a racoon kill one of my desert tortoises several years ago and now have an electric fence to keep them out. The death of a tortoise is so heartbreaking. I hope your remaining tortoises get well real fast.