desert tortoise questions re shell

the_newzie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
las vegas
IMAG0420.jpg2 quick questions about the little guy in the pictures. From what I know he's not yet a full year old yet. He's small like 2-3 inches max. First question is his plaston is very soft on the bottom. I've read that's not uncommon for his age/size, but I want to be sure. 2nd question is as you can see in the pictures, he has a slight discoloration on the top of his shell to the right of his neck (just on one of the plates) and (maybe) on his plaston as well. Shell rot? Idk. Other pertinent info: he lives in las Vegas, he is a 100% outside turtle. I make him a salad of deer grass, regular grass, hibiscus leaves, prickly pear pads, a bit of carrot (which is like crack to him) and some rehydrated alfalfa mix. He eats well, doesn't drink much that I can see even though he has access to fresh water 24/7 (but who knows what he does when I'm not around) his enclosure is like 100 sq ft of grass/gravel/dirt. He recently spent about 3 days down in his burrow (its not yet cold but avg temp did drop like 5 degrees but this is Vegas so it's still plenty warm). Just being cautious. Please let me know if I need to take him to the vet or if I'm being overprotective.IMAG0424.jpg IMAG0424.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw-w-w-w...he's just a teeny, tiny baby! He probably was hatched out this past September (that's usually when desert tortoises hatch). I'm sure he's not a year, so he's this year's baby for sure.

New babies are pretty pliable. They harden as they get the real sunshine and good calcium-rich foods.

Don't worry about that discoloration. It was more than likely caused by bumping or rubbing up against something (again, the soft shell).

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
Good to know!!! I was just advised to seek your sage wisdom by a guy replying to my introduction thread. I hear you are the go to source for all things desert tortoise related.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd like to make a suggestion: If the background in your pictures is showing the substrate you're keeping the baby on, please change it out. Little rocks are pretty hard for baby tortoises to walk on. We like to use a softer substrate that you can moisten. My favorite is small grade orchid bark, but quite a few of our members like coco coir.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
That's only the substrate for approx 30% of his habitat (near the sides to deter him from trying to climb the walls). The majority is sand and grass. I will look into the bark though. May class up the place.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Your hatchling is adorable.

I wouldn't let a Hatchling live outside through the cooler months. I'm in Lake Havasu City, AZ. I wouldn't let him hibernate for the first 2 or 3 years. Indoor enclosure with proper heat and lighting is best, even in Las Vegas. Both my adults are getting ready to hibernate thanks to the cooler weather finally. I suspect they'll be down for good around Halloween. Your little one needs time to build up some weight and get super healthy before brumation. And it's never a good idea to hibernate a newly acquired turtle or tortoise the first year, you may end up with a very sick tortoise or worse. Trying not to be harsh, but it is a real concern especially for hatchlings. They will do great outside from late Spring to early Fall, so long as they've got great shade and/or better yet a burrow. Inside for late Fall through Winter will give your little one the best chance at being healthy and happy.

Best Wishes for great Successes with your little one!